Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help: VIRUS from a PDF File?

Hey all, I just downloaded a PDF file from a suspicious website and I was about to place it on my iPad Mini 3. I just wanted to know if it was possible for a virus to be inside a PDF file and infect my iPad Mini 3 and send out information from my iPad Mini 3. Since I enjoy reading many PDF files on my iPad Mini 3, I've been getting worried that maybe I've already put an infected PDF file onto my iPad Mini 3 or that I certainly will in the future.

I've only ever downloaded apps from the Apple App Store and I've never installed an app that wasn't directly from the Apple App Store.

I just want someone to put my fears to rest as I haven't been able to sleep well because of this issue.

Thanks for any help!

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 7:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 9:05 PM

There are no known viruses that can affect iOS devices.

Is it possible the PDF was tainted. Sure. But even if it was, the likelyhood that it was a virus specifically designed for iOS is so remote, its almost non existent.

If it was a virus for some other platform i.e. Windows, or even OSx, then it absolutely cannot run on an iOS device. And even if it could, iOS is a closed system. Sandboxed. That means one App cant affect another, and a virus in one would not be able to affect any other part of the iPad in any way because it would not be able to run outside of the designated area for the Dropbox App.

In short, its close to impossible for your iPad to be affected in any way.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2015 9:05 PM in response to NewbMacUser

There are no known viruses that can affect iOS devices.

Is it possible the PDF was tainted. Sure. But even if it was, the likelyhood that it was a virus specifically designed for iOS is so remote, its almost non existent.

If it was a virus for some other platform i.e. Windows, or even OSx, then it absolutely cannot run on an iOS device. And even if it could, iOS is a closed system. Sandboxed. That means one App cant affect another, and a virus in one would not be able to affect any other part of the iPad in any way because it would not be able to run outside of the designated area for the Dropbox App.

In short, its close to impossible for your iPad to be affected in any way.

Jul 3, 2015 7:09 AM in response to NewbMacUser

Hi, Their are currently no viruses in the IOS operating system. But, Apple Apps are always virus checked. So, i would check where you got the PDF from. Their might be a App for you there. But, always make a backup on ITunes. Then download it. If you think it actually is a virus, Then do a fctory rstart right away and back your Ipad from ITunes. Hope that helped 🙂

Please help: VIRUS from a PDF File?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.