Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messaging issues on MAC after os 8.4 upgrade on Phone

Upgraded to OS 8.4 a few days ago. After doing so, my phone # no longer appeared in Messages preferences on my MAC or IPAD, just my email. It was fine on my phone. When a text came in, I was only seeing it on my phone, not my Mac or My iPad , So, I remembered from an earlier time when this had happened and I TURNED OFF FaceTime & Messaging ON ALL 3 DEVICES, (because if you don't do it on your phone it won't work) Then I rebooted and TURNED ON FaceTime & Messaging on all 3 devices and started from scratch. Now, I was offered the option ON ALL DEVICES to use my phone #. Yes, all devices are ALL on the SAME APPLE ID. So, now all 3 devices DING again when I get an iMessage .. YAY ! Only 1 problem......WHEN I RECEIVE AN SMS TEXT, IT ONLY COMES TO MY PHONE AS A TEXT, AND IT IS SENT TO MY EMAIL ON MY MAC AND MYIPAD. I have gone into settings on all 3 devices and my phone # only is checked, so I can't figure it out. I keep testing it using USPS, as I have recently sent a pkg that gets text updates. PLEASE HELP! I can't think of whatelse to do! Again, this is JUST SINCE UPDATING TO OS8.4.

Thanks! 🙂

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), Iphone 6+ & Ipad 3 are on OS 8.4

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 7:32 AM

5 replies

Jul 3, 2015 11:49 AM in response to babowa

Yes, I didn't know where to post this. As far as your links, I had set all that up a long time ago, and it has all worked seamlessly until I upgraded to OS 8.4 on my phone 2 days ago, so, I am at a loss. I know how to set up messaging and FaceTime and continuity and it was all working just fine until I upgraded to 8.4 on my phone. I don't know why this would have upset the applecart as far as the messaging on my Mac & iPad, but it did.........as I have gotten the iMessages to work on all 3 devices, its STILL AN ISSUE WITH THE SMS .

Jul 3, 2015 12:09 PM in response to duopshebop

NEVER MIND.. I FIGURED IT OUT!!! I kept reading about TEXT MESSAGE FORWARDING and could not find the option on my phone. When i upgraded to OS 8.4, somehow that option got UNCHECKED. So, when I set message and FaceTime up again from scratch TO FIX MY SNAFOOS, I didn't see the text message forwarding because it doesn't appear unless your check off both your ph # and your email address and I only had my ph # checked off. So, I just went back to my messaging setup on my iPhone, and checked off my email address as well, and then the text message forwarding option appeared and I had to turn the options on again TO SEND SMS TO MY IPAD & MAC. Its always something really simple and really dumb...haha. All works great as it did before OS 8.4 Please post this somewhere where others who may be experiencing this issue can read it.. Thanks 🙂

Jul 3, 2015 12:43 PM in response to duopshebop

duopshebop wrote:

NEVER MIND.. I FIGURED IT OUT!!! ... SNIP .... So, I just went back to my messaging setup on my iPhone, and checked off my email address as well, and then the text message forwarding option appeared and I had to turn the options on again TO SEND SMS TO MY IPAD & MAC. Its always something really simple and really dumb...haha. All works great as it did before OS 8.4 Please post this somewhere where others who may be experiencing this issue can read it.. Thanks 🙂

Good for you!!

The Hosts got lucky when they picked, I guess... judging by the "breadcrumb trail", it is already there!!

User uploaded file

Messaging issues on MAC after os 8.4 upgrade on Phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.