Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove / uninstall appllications?

How do I remove / uninstall MAC OS applications that I don't use or want? Such as iBooks, Facetime etc.?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 4:53 AM

7 replies

Jul 3, 2015 6:07 AM in response to Chiefgse

Some Mac OS applications you cannot delete because they are required by the OSX. You will get an error message to that effect when you try. Otherwise, dragging the application from the Applications Folder to trash is all that is required.

Third party applications often require uninstall instructions that can be obtained from the respective developers web site.

Ciao.

Jul 3, 2015 6:26 AM in response to Chiefgse

You can delete the OSX applications. Most however are needed partly by other OSX Applications.

When you want to delete Chess, iWeb, GameCenter, Garageband, MidiSetup, MigrationAssistant and that sort of OSX apps and Utilities, you can remove them with a Terminal command.

They will stay available however for installation in the Purchases tab of Appstore (so do NOT remove this one 😎 ).

You do this:

open Terminal, copy paste this

sudo rm -rf

into the Terminal Window, then drag the App to delete into the Terminal Window and hit Enter.

Your password will be asked, type it (it will not display, then Enter.

Lex

Jul 3, 2015 10:43 AM in response to Lexiepex

Actually I found another way.

Go to the Applications Folder

Right click on the folder

Click on the LOCK on the lower right and enter your password

Click on Sharing and Permissions

Chane Everyone to Read and Write

Click on the Gear at the bottom

Then Apply to Enclosed Items

This allows you to manipulate the items in the Application folder.

Jul 3, 2015 2:04 PM in response to Chiefgse

Personally, I would not uninstall any app that was installed as part of the OS X system install.

Most of them do not take up much space, so why invite problems by deleting system apps. Deleting/moving space hogging files such as videos, movies, photos, etc. makes much more sense and have better results.

How do I remove / uninstall appllications?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.