Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes 12.2 erased my entire itunes music library

I just downloaded the latest iTunes update 12.2 on my PC and on restarting my computer I opened iTunes to find that only my icloud purchases still remain, My entire iTunes Library is gone. Most of my library consisted of music I had loaded myself from cd's which I am unable to access now the discs are in storage. Why has everything gone. I haven't added or deleted anything, I simply downloaded and installed update and then restarted computer as requested and my whole library has gone- HELP ?

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 6:22 AM

9 replies

Jul 4, 2015 8:06 AM in response to Limnos

Hey, Thanks for your reply. My iTunes file is about 105GB in size and after the upgrade, when I check the size of the file on my computer it is still showing 105GB so I am guessing the files haven't necessarily been deleted. Its just when I open iTunes, all that show are the 100 or so albums or singles I have purchased on itunes with the cloud symbol on them but none of the other 900 or so albums I have loaded onto iTunes myself from cd's are there anymore !

I tried that suggestion of going into iTunes and going into previous iTunes libraries and taking the file from there which would have been the backup of my iTunes before I installed the update and replacing the new itl file with it. It had been suggested that when I re open iTunes after doing that , that I would have my old library back again but it didn't work for me. Before doing that file change over I had gone into iTunes preferences and un ticked the box that was called- apple music which i assumed was the source of the problem because I was told that if I didn't turn off icloud music library that the problem would persist. Is the apple music option, I cloud music ? I want to make sure icloud music is turned off and also for your reference, I don't have iTunes match so that isn't the problem. Could you help me with any other suggestion of what to do ? I want to basically get rid of all the icloud albums that are now sitting visible in my iTunes library and somehow find the entire rest of my library including the actual physical downloaded copies of the icloud albums now showing. In the old iTunes I had the option for showing albums in the cloud un ticked but in this horrible new iTunes update there is no option that I can see to not show icloud albums

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

Jul 4, 2015 8:17 AM in response to andrewdt

I would definitely rename the existing .itl, then copy the older one into the iTunes folder and rename it. This means that you can reverse the actions, and preserves the original backup file in case the process needs to be repeated. Turning off Apple Music and iCloud Music Library before replacing the library files may be a good move. Both options should be under Edit > Preferences > General. (iTunes > Preferences > General on a Mac).

tt2

Jul 4, 2015 8:30 AM in response to turingtest2

See I already tried what you described and that didn't work for me, there is still nothing but the icloud albums in my iTunes. I am using a PC not a mac and I noticed that in a mac related article it showed that on a mac with iTunes, under the preferences there is an option for not only apple music but underneath it an option for icloud music. On my PC in iTunes there is no option to for icloud music at all, only apple music so i feel like the fact I have no option to turn off icloud music is the problem

Jul 4, 2015 8:56 AM in response to andrewdt

Hmm. See Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates (the second box in particular) for help with uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes. It is possible that something got left out of the installation.

However I've just noticed that if you are not currently signed into the iTunes Store you won't see the iCloud Music Library control in preferences.

tt2

Jul 4, 2015 10:28 AM in response to TapeTrader

It shouldn't be necessary to recreate any playlists - tt2's user tip (referenced in several posts above) describes how to restore your library using the backup copy of the library database file created by iTunes during the update process. I've never seen a definitive answer as to why the iTunes library may be corrupted during updates; I'm sure that if Apple knew the cause they would long ago have fixed it. In addition to the method that relies on the file created in your Previous iTunes Libaries folder, you should also be able to restore your library from a backup - since, as you rightly say, your library, playlists, etc. may represent an investment of many hours work, why would you not be backing it up on a regular basis?

itunes 12.2 erased my entire itunes music library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.