Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows Can't be Install (Yosemite)

Hello, another particular issue I seem to be running into is setting up dual boot with Yosemite and Windows 8.1. Yosemite is already installed on a GPT hard drive obviously, the only issue is:

Every time I start the Windows 8.1 disk in UEFI mode, and install Windows on the partition/or unallocated space, it gives me this error: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks."

So another way I tried to solve this is booting through the non-UEFI installation of Windows, the same thing happens, only this time I get this error: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu." same thing with Windows 10, 8 and 7.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), (Late 2009)

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 4:27 AM

1 reply

Jul 3, 2015 10:06 AM in response to Nembuss

Your specific Mac needs a physical DVD to install Windows, you cannot use a USB installer. It also does not support EFI Boot because your Mac is not UEFI-compliant. Only models after Late 2013 are UEFI-complient.

Run BC Assistant. Pick both options, "Download software..." and Install "Windows" and click on continue. Follow directions of BCA. You will need to format the FAT Bootcamp partition to NTFS when the Windows installer asks you choose the partition to install Windows.

The screens should look similar to the following. This is from an older Mac which does not Recovery HD. Yosemite will show it as Partition 4 instead of Partition 3.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Windows Can't be Install (Yosemite)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.