Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 8.4: iBooks PDF's Displays All Collection Items

Hi Folks,

Not certain how many of you use the Collection feature within iOS iBooks. I have a significant number of PDF's and EPUB's that I have moved to various Collections I created within iBooks - essentially leaving the PDFs and Books Collection empty. I use this approach to make it easier to isolate new book additions that I move to existing or new Collections.

As of iOS 8.4, iBooks displays all of the PDF's in the PDFs Collection even though they reside in Collections I created. EPUB's however, behave as they did in pre-iBooks 8.4 releases of iBooks.

Cheers,

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 5:03 AM

11 replies

Jul 24, 2015 1:27 AM in response to H Gagne

I've just discovered this problem as well, and it's making a mess of my life right now. I have a number of important legal documents and medical records stored in iBooks, but I hadn't sorted several that were downloaded prior to iOS 8.4. Tried to do it tonight, as well as importing some new PDFs, and couldn't find any of the unsorted items in this huge list of documents.

I've submitted a report to Apple, let's see if they do anything about it,

In the meantime, I'm considering switching back to Docs To Go, which has been my fall-back for all kinds of documents for years. Seems like it's also a good thing that I buy most of my ebooks from Amazon, I never have trouble finding a book with their app and they don't "lose" track of what I've purchased in the past (another problem with Apple).

Jul 27, 2015 12:59 AM in response to H Gagne

It is disappointing that Apple has changed this. It means you need to go to a non-Apple app to manage your PDFs.

I see no purpose in having a collection of all PDFs. The search can easily find things. You wouldn't go to a library and ask for all PDFs, or find any section that has a copy of all books. It is illogical and narrow minded.

I liked using iBooks for all my documentation, I use it for music, specifications, user manuals, and books.

Without the ability to sort incoming documents the iBook app has no use any more, truly a sad time for iBooks.

Aug 4, 2015 6:11 PM in response to Jodyar

That's just plain inexcusable on Apple's part! To date I have received zero response to the support/feedback email I sent, and after reading your account I'm glad I didn't waste my time calling them.

I did discover one thing today that helped a little, however. When I first noticed the problem I had just imported a document into iBooks and was looking for it in the PDF section so that I could file it in the correct sub-folder. Of course, I couldn't find because I didn't know how the original document was labeled and have too many PDF documents to scroll through to find it.

Today I discovered that when clicking on the "All" category an additional option, "Most Recent", pops up at the top of the page, so at least one can locate something just imported and file it before it gets lost in the PDF pit. It's not a long-term solution, but it's a little help in the meantime.

Aug 6, 2015 12:14 AM in response to talvola

Here is what i did. I bought another program (gxxxreader). It allows me to sync my library from an ftp server. So in a way it is better because you can have more levels/collections. But to read epubs it sends them to IBooks. And most important it doesnt Show preview image. So not ideal if you have epubs.

I am really stuck. I whish I never updated to 8.4.

Aug 6, 2015 5:07 PM in response to talvola

I've used Documents To Go for years with great success. It will handle PDFs as well as Word and Excel files., plus you can create

word and Excel documents with it. You also have the ability to sync with your desktop. I drifted away from using it for PDFs when iBooks was so easy to use, and am considering switching everything back to it from iBooks. I hope I don't have to do that, but if Apple doesn't fix this, I will. In the meantime, see my post above about locating newly-imported PDFs using the "All" list, which at least makes it possible to locate any new document and file it properly. Good luck!

Sep 3, 2015 3:42 PM in response to H Gagne

This is an unmitigated disaster!

Once a PDF is put into a collection it should leave the PDF group--just the way the books work--or, perhaps simpler, as that might not be logical to some users--there should an "Un-categorized" collection. That way, you would know which items need putting into collections. Alternatively, iBooks could have an option to display the collection an item belongs to at the right side. If not in a collection, it would say, (drum roll, please!)

UNCATEOGRIZED!!

(Apple: I'm ready to be hired to go through all your basic apps and let you know all the not-so-little things like this that should be fixed throughout the OS!)

iOS 8.4: iBooks PDF's Displays All Collection Items

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.