Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Continuous crashing of iPhone 5 after iOS 8.4 update.

iPhone info : iPhone 5, currently running iOS 8.4.

So I've updated my iPhone 5 to the newest iOS 8.4 and it started crashing again and again. Everytime I insert my passcode and unlock my phone it brings me to my home screen but after a few seconds a black screen comes up ( sometimes with grey lines) and my iPhone blacks out and it restarts. This process mentioned above only happens after I unlock my phone after the restarts. If I do not unlock my iPhone, it stays perfectly ok on the lockscreen but it totally defeats the purpose of owning a phone since I can't access it anymore.

I've tried restoring it from a backup, resetting it to factory settings but it couldn't work for me since I need to enter my passcode to restore/reset, but everytime I do so the phone dies and disconnects from iTunes.

I am desperate of help, please provide solutions if possible. Thanks.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 4:32 AM

11 replies

Jul 12, 2015 8:06 AM in response to Jimmo0329

I had this problem also, and finally had to do a factory reset on my iPhone 6 Plus, and restore from an early version of iOS.

I have been working on a rebuild for a week, but I finally got all of my music and apps back on and running. Photos and movies will take another few dozen syncs.

One thing I discovered was 20 Gbs of data in my backup files. I deleted all of that, and did a fresh backup overnight. It seems to be syncing again.

I know most of this doesn't respond to your inquiry, but my advice is to do a factory reset from the Settings>General>Reset location, and do a complete restore.

Jul 30, 2015 5:23 PM in response to Jimmo0329

Something similar is happening to me. This all started happening soon after updating to 8.4. I have a white 5S.

the phone randomly shuts off with a brief blue screen of death, it then stays in a cycle of quick blue screen reboots or hangs for a long time on apple bootup screen. Frustrating to say the least. I have restored a few times, even setting up as a new phone. Nothing seems to work... looking for a way to go back to 8.3

Continuous crashing of iPhone 5 after iOS 8.4 update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.