Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A valid DVD drive could not be found [-70012]

I recently bought an enclosure for my old super drive that was in my iMac before I installed a SSD.

I installed my old super drive into a external enclosure and proceed to hook it up to my iMac.

Once the drive was hooked up, I received this message…

User uploaded file

I would have thought using my old super drive the iMac would have recognized the drive with no issues.

I currently have the following iMac and operating system…

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009)

Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB of ramm

OS X Yosemite version 10.10.4

NOTE: I have installed a SSD where my super drive used to be inside my iMac

I tried buying a LG external drive and received the same error message.

Any thoughts or suggestions how to remedy my situation?

iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, Mac OS X (10.7), www.macblogz.com

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 5:57 AM

4 replies

Jul 3, 2015 7:07 AM in response to sk1975

Question 1. What enclosure are you using for the Mac's SuperDrive....?

Question 2. What model LG are trying to use....?

I do not know much about putting the iMac's SuperDrive into to an enclosure, because I have not tried that.

I do know that most, if not all Mac OS X compatible LG External DVD Drives will work because I have two of them.

Lastly because it sounds like your system is seeing the DVD Drives (i.e. the error message) that there is another problem.

First things that I would try are, both the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM resets.

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

I also might try using a different Application like Disk Utility, iDVD, Burn, Toast or one from the App Store to see if either drive works with any of those.

Jul 3, 2015 7:19 AM in response to den.thed

My 1st try was buying a LG Electronics 8X USB 2.0 Slim Portable DVD+/-RW External Drive with M-DISC Support, Retail (Black) GP50NB40 from Amazon.

Once I plugged the unit into my iMac I received that error.

My 2nd try was purchasing the OWC SuperSlim USB 2.0 optical drive external enclosure Mac / PC / USB 2.0 & 1.1

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/VLSS9TOPTU2/

I had to return this because the error I was receiving and that the old super drive did not fit inside the enclosure.

The disc would mount on the desktop but you could not view in the Apple DVD player, I was able to play the DVD in VLC.

I was trying to make a digital copy of a very old dvd that is not avaiable in digital format and was unable to open the DVD
in the following software…MacX DVD Video Converter Pro Pack.app. In the past I was able to when I had the super drive internally.

Jul 28, 2015 9:04 AM in response to den.thed

I have recently tried hooking up a external Apple super drive to my iMac and still receive the following message…User uploaded file

after researching further, I have come across the following link, the thing is it does not seem up to date with Yosemite 10.10.4, also some steps seem to be missing when making the modifications

http://www.cnet.com/news/addressing-dvd-player-error-70012-when-using-external-d rives-in-os-x/

A valid DVD drive could not be found [-70012]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.