Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new HD put in. How to download my data from an external HD?

My old HD was a OSX 10.6.8 snow leopard . New HD / 1 terra byte is lion 10.8. All my data on external Drive. Procedure to install this?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 6:04 AM

6 replies

Jul 3, 2015 7:47 AM in response to mingdurga

mingdurga wrote:

My EHD is a OWC Mercury Elite Pro / 2.0 TB / Firewire 800 / USB 3.0. Data was uploaded when I clicked on the EHD and clicked on " upload data now".

Do I insert original OSX disc to format new drive or erase? Will migration assistance do everything that's necessary?

Thanks.

Well done on getting a Mercury Elite Pro, great drive!!

I have to admit I have never heard of the "upload data now" message you are referring to. Have you verified that your data is indeed on the drive and does it also have your user folder too?

As far as formatting the new HD, restart the computer with either the original DVD that came with the computer or a Snow Leopard upgrade DVD. Put the disc in the SuperDrive and restart and hold down Command C. Enter Disk Utility and then format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using the GUID partition. After you have done that then install OS X onto the new hard drive. Once you have installed OS X, then reboot the computer to test that it will boot from the new HD and download and update to the 10.6.8. update combo located at Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1. After you have done that then run Migration Assistant and migrate from the EHD to the new HD.

Jul 3, 2015 8:01 AM in response to mingdurga

"upload data now"

I have the very same EHD - I've never heard of that either.

Did you format the drive when you got it? OWC drives come with several softwares, most of which are not needed. Actually, to function as an external back up drive, no software is needed, but it does need to be formatted. You can back up with either Disk Utility, Time Machine, or 3rd party CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

new HD put in. How to download my data from an external HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.