Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use of English term in iTune 12.2 in French

Hi.

In iTune 12.2 the word "Playlist", an English term, is now used instead of "Liste de lecture" perfectly valid french terms.

I have nothing against English but, when I choose to use a software in French, I anticipate the use of perfect French, which has always been the case with Apple, except now, with iTune 12.2.

Hey Apple, I think your french translators are coming from France and they, like many persons from France, have succumbed to the tendency of using a lot of english words. This can expected from ordinary people that don't care about their native language but, for a company like Apple, that has such a great reputation, it is far from professional.

Please, use french terminology when it is available.

Best regards.

Jean Lemire

Richelieu, Quebec, Canada

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 5:42 AM

7 replies

Jul 3, 2015 7:40 AM in response to ed2345

I surmise our descendant of La guerre de la Conquête thinks the French have demeaned themselves and L'Académie Française needs to take a stronger stance even if the result is 3 words instead of one. Oh well, vive la différence. (Oh my gosh, did I just use a French term in my reply in English? 😮)

Jul 3, 2015 8:46 AM in response to ed2345

Ah yes, 'Hipper'. Should be 'Hippier', the comparative form of Hippy. 👿 But having said that I am all for the individualistic approach that is trying to maintain the purity of the French language.

If only our English leaders were as proud of their language, we wouldn't continue to be struck with words like 'gotten' and Math (a seemingly singularised version of a plural). But as this is a technical forum, I suppose anything goes.

Jul 3, 2015 6:05 PM in response to Jean (Johnny) Lemire

Hi folks.

I know that French from France are using a lot of english words. Is it to be "In" or by snobbism ?

I don't care. Here in Quebec, surrounded by the vast majority of english Canadians and the USA, we try to use French as best as we can.

Again, I have nothing against using English, when appropriate, after all, I speak French, English and a little Spanish. The only thing that bugs me is that, given the huge quantity of available french words, some people, and I write some, not all, are using english words instead of the appropriate french words.

This is the start of assimilation.

Just ideas.

Jean Lemire

Richelieu, Quebec, Canada.

Use of English term in iTune 12.2 in French

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.