Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing AF101 footage - worked then did not

OK, this is proving to be a bit of a nightmare. I copied cards to a HD and started import with ''Leave Files in Place'. Looked like it worked, but 1/2 the clips were marked as missing. Thought I would deal with this later as the ones I had were the main stuff. Started edit. Edited for around a hour. Then everything showed 'Missing File'. Tried relinking. Looked like it worked but when I went to browser everything was still marked as 'File Missing'. Tried to relink again and it showed nothing needed relinking.

I am using FCP 10.2.1 and Yosmite.

Ben

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 8:29 AM

9 replies

Jul 3, 2015 3:11 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

! wouldn't dare compare the formats and was not. 'You can't import from a camer or archive and leave in place.' (as a general statement) do not 100% true if takes as a stand alone statement..

I said I had copied to the HD and wonted to leave in place (is copying to HD what you refer to as archive). Even if I get it to copy the media into library it does not work. It ONLY works if I do it straight from the card. This is really bad as I have no way of archiving cards apart from copying them into FCPX lib (which is far from ideal).

I have heard talk of SD card clone utils but have not found any. The other issue with cloning is I have other stuff on one of the cards I don't want to archive (as the archive is going to client).

Jul 3, 2015 3:32 PM in response to funkytwig

An archive is an exact replica of the card, not just the media files, so it behaves like the card. It can either be creating by copying the card content to a hard drive, or using the archive function in FCP, which encloses it in a bundle.

Even if I get it to copy the media into library it does not work. It ONLY works if I do it straight from the card.

I don't know what this means. Are you saying that if you make an archive of the camera card on your hard drive, you can't import from it? That you can only import from the card itself? That doesn't sound right. What are the specifics of the camera and the format that was shot?

I have heard talk of SD card clone utils but have not found any.

You should be able make a folder on the drive, select all the contents of the card and drag them into the folder. Or you can use the FCP archive function in the import window.

The other issue with cloning is I have other stuff on one of the cards I don't want to archive (as the archive is going to client).

I don't know a way around that I'm afraid.

P.S. Actually there may be a convoluted way around that. If you use FCP to import the media into a folder on your hard drive. You can use a utility from Andreas Kiel called VirtualCamCard http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/ that will enclose the media in a folder structure that behaves like a camera archive.

Jul 3, 2015 4:02 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I am saying exactly that, yes. If I copy card to HD then do an import/copy to library it looks like it works but them all the icons turn to missing files. I relink and it seems to work them when Re-link widow closes nothing has changed. I try to re-link again and it shows up no files to relink.

On a related note the way libraries are Mac HFS+ bundles is a major headache as I don't know any backup/folder synchronization software that understands them. With PP at the end of the day I do a backup and it just copies what is new. with FCPX as everything is in a bundle it copies everything every time.

I did try saving stuff in file-system rather than Library but, maybe this si the problem solution but not had much luck moving things between libraries (I believe to go from holding in library to file-system I could need to create a new library (set to hold stuff on file system) then copy stuff to it?

Thanks for taking the time to reply,

ben

Importing AF101 footage - worked then did not

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.