Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot play matched music on iPhone through Apple Music

I am trying to play my uploaded music from my apple match account (expired a while ago, music still shows as matched in itunes) on my phone 6 through Apple music 'My library'.

The song titles are there, with artists, no artwork, and when I select a song i get the bottom bar pop up for half a second and nothing happens.

All my recognized songs play fine from 'My library' with backgrounds and artwork.

I have taken these steps: log out of icloud, and icloud music library on both devices, as well as a full restart. Logged back in and I have the exact same problem.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 7:54 AM

7 replies

Jul 3, 2015 10:50 PM in response to Mathimilou

I have exactly the same problem. I subscribed to iTunes Match when it first came out to store all my esoteric music and stuff that that was not on Spotify (e.g. Beatles). However, when Google Play allowed the same thing and streaming I cancelled both services. I am now trialling Apple Music and have noticed that all my old Matched music is still there. However, I cannot play it and on iTunes I cannot re-upload it because it says that it is already matched!! I tried to re-purchase iTunes Match because I thought this might be the problem but Apple will not now let me re-purchase it. Thinking of giving up and sticking with Google Play as it just works. The only advantage of iTunes Music is Beats 1 and Family Sharing.

Jul 3, 2015 11:40 PM in response to MrPink42

Your situation constitutes what I'm referring to as the "Dual User Scenario" is which your subscribed to ITunes Match and your trying out the new Apple Music Service. Same as myself but I chose to use two separate Apple ID's for each service on each device. Glad I did as I appreciate and understand how it all works. I have a large music library so I rely on iTunes Match. Users with little or no music can solely use the new Apple Music as if represents a Music Rental Streaming service. It's not really a cloud storage and access service like iTunes Match. In your case, your music library was uploaded and matched when you subscribed to iTunes Match. Having now subscribed to Apple Music streaming service, it's assumed all ur music can be matched with the 30 million tracks within the service. In other words, your it really streaming or downloading your personal mystic while using this service. It gets a it more complicated but you could simply enjoy Apple Music and family sharing and consider the iTunes Match as a back up service.

Jul 4, 2015 5:08 AM in response to Mathimilou

Thanks for the relplies, I was able to tinker with the songs to make them work. Here is my solution, it is a manual, and somewhat time consuming solution, but at least I was able to get the albums I wanted working.

I went on my iphone, and selected the albums which didn't work (the ones which had not uploaded). I selected them individually from my iPhone, and selected "delete" then "delete from iCloud music library". When that was done, I went back to itunes, and selected all the songs which had a status 'removed' in iCloud status. You can filter by status to find them easily. Then I selected upload to iCloud music library. After a few minutes (i have 30 MB upload), all the songs where back on my phone, but this time they were all useable.

It's a manual fix, but it gets me where I wanted, and can now enjoy my whole library, the streaming service, and Apple Radio. Thanks again, and let me know if it could have been done more quickly/efficiently for the next person.

Jul 5, 2015 12:51 PM in response to Mathimilou

yes, i did both (as i thought that might trigger some sort of restart). I mean your approach did allow me to upload some songs, maybe half of the affected items (so many thanks!) but not all of them. can't believe how buggy Apple Music is, i'm tempted to stay with Google Music (even if it doesn't look as nice), Apple's software problems seem to reach the catastrophic levels of Microsoft's products a couple of years ago.

Jul 5, 2015 1:20 PM in response to simonthiel

I Agree that this is not a great start so far. I thought this would be the be all end all but so far I've encountered more than a few issues. I have a great connection 150 up and 30 down fiber, yet the connection to radio is spotty at best. Also, every radio station hangs before starting. I am also used to google music, and will hang on to my sub for a little while longer. At 3 months I'll decide if things improved enough to use as my paid service over Google.

Cannot play matched music on iPhone through Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.