Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to use this phone internationally. UNLOCK HELP!

My Iphone5:

Version: 8.4 (12H143)

MODEL: MD355LL/A

SERIAL NUMBER: F2LKT5XWF8GJ

IMEI: 99 000279 053942 1

Carrier: Virgin 20.0 PRL 31100 NAI kaitlinkoykar@virginmobileusa.com

MSID 9253004784

I really need to unlock my phone. It was a prepaid contract with Virgin for almost a year. I've been inactive with this carrier for almost a year because I live in Spain and have been for almost a year. I have the carrier Orange. Now, I'm returning to CA for the summer and I want to unlock this phone! When I first arrived to Spain, I contacted Virgin Mobile and had three people refuse to help me because my contract is no longer active. I was very upset. Finally after demanding to speak to a manager, I received an OEM six digit access code and was told to put the code in once I put in a new SIM card from Orange. It didn't work. I contacted Apple to try and help me, but they told me that the OEM code needs to be sent directly from my previous provider because Apple does not have power to initiate an activation policy or switch from GSM to CDMA, or however it works. I discontinued my prepaid service when Virgin Mobile told me I could not unlock my phone and use it in Spain. I discontinued a year ago. I really hope someone can help me or give me guidance. First, I want to know, which is my phone....GSM or CDMA? And two, what is the process in which I can get this thing unlocked? Any genius out there with advice would be greatly greatly greatly appreciated!!

Thank you for reading this.

Kaitlin

User uploaded file

Here is what I get when I put in my Orange SIM card (European SIM) into my iPhone.
I don't want to have paid for a brand new iPhone 5 2 years ago, fully paid, to not be able to use it in my new home in Spain. >.<

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 7:37 AM

7 replies

Jul 3, 2015 8:13 AM in response to KiltedTim

I was afraid of that. I've been doing hours of legal reading and I'm so frustrated that I need a break. I read this, "While Sprint uses radios that make it difficult to use its devices on other CDMA and LTE networks, almost all Sprint spectrum resellers are free to activate unlocked Sprint phones.

If you’re using a Sprint prepaid affiliate, like Virgin or Boost, Sprint currently cannot unlock those devices. Supposedly help is on its way — as these policies are in violation of the CITA’s unlocking agreement, new, more consumer-friendly policies should be in place by February 11, 2015."

So, actually isn't it illegal that the carrier will not provide the unlocking access?

Jul 11, 2015 1:38 AM in response to kkoykar

I have a similar problem with Sprint. I reported my problem with Sprint to the FCC. Then I was contacted by Sprint and they said they unlocked it. Then I went to Apple.com and searched for information on unlocking my Apple IPhone 5. I printed the pages and read them carefully then began to follow the instructions. I won't go into all instructions, but it involves putting your phone back to factory settings. But before I followed those instructions I chatted with Apple and requested information regarding my Iphone by giving my IMEI #. Apple can tell you if and when Sprint/Virgin has unlocked your phone. Another place to complain is the PUC in the state that you are living in. Good Luck and I hope this helps. I was astonished at how little information is on the web about legal unlocking a phone. But Apple website has the information, it just takes a little time to read.

NanaJac

I need to use this phone internationally. UNLOCK HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.