Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is a software support company named Call to Resolve a legitimate support company?

Yesterday, in Safari, I clicked on an entry that should have been a safe entry, but when it came up, a warning screen appeared warning me about a potential phishing site, my safari locked up and a small rectangular screen showed that advised me to call "Apple Support" at the following toll-free number: (844) 233-0650. The number turned out to be a company called "Call to Resolve", which, by the sound of the technician's accent, could have been in India, or thereabouts. I questioned them if this was Apple Support, and the technican said that Apple Support used their company for software support. They initially appeared to me to be suspicious at first, and I was reluctant to comply with their requests. However, I was in a critical situation with my computer internet locked up. After paying $199.99 by credit card and agreeing to a 1-year service agreement, I allowed the support technician to take control of my computer, and they resolved my problem. According to the contract, they provided me with another telephone number, (800) 251-4576, to call if I have further need of their services. During the repair process, 2 programs were installed on my machine, CCMacSetup109 and AdwareMedic. One other thing, since I had given the technician my computer password, I have since changed the password.

I have 4 basic questions:

1. Does the company, Call to Resolve, have a business relationship with Apple Support?

2. Are they a legitimate company?

3. Have I compromised my credit card by allowing it to be used as a method of payment, even though the web page indicated a secure payment?

4. Are the 2 programs, CCMacSetup109 and AdwareMedic, programs that I should let remain on my computer, or should I uninstall them?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 7:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 7:33 AM

They are criminals masquerading as an Apple Support company, you have been scammed. And your Mac has been compromised along with your credit card and anything else they may have taken from your Mac.

Erase the Mac, restore from a backup that pre-dates the scammers visit.

18 replies

Jul 4, 2015 4:47 AM in response to Chris1951

As has been pointed out, since you have the scammers remote access to your Mac, it should be considered compromised. There is no anti-virus software on the planet that can remove all the things they could have done, nor is an entry-level service tech capable of reversing the damage. The only option to guarantee that your Mac is clean, and that nobody's logging your keystrokes, listening through your microphone or watching you through the webcam, is to erase the hard drive. Then, either restore to a backup made prior to the incident, or reinstall everything from scratch. For help with the latter, see:

How to reinstall Mac OS X from scratch

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

Sep 12, 2015 7:06 AM in response to Chris1951

this happened to me yesterday. Call to Resolve fixed my computer in 12 hours. I watched as much as I could. I thought I was going to maccleaner and ran the scan from something with a very similar name...and my computer went crazy. then Call to Resolve's pop up appeared. I am elderly and homebound. very scared to let them fix it...but I did let them because my computer is my lifeline to everything. doctors and bills and everything. and used my debit card to pay for it. bought a year tech support because it was just 50 dollars more than a one time repair. I see from Call to Resolve's website that they are based in CA and use 3rd party repair places around the world...which is why I had nice Indian people helping me.

They are not registered with the BBB. my computer is running perfectly now. it was having issues before I went to that cleaner website..and those issues were growing worse over the months. and i went once more and then...oh dear. I feel very worried. but we do have LifeLock...so if it is a scam...my bank account should be protected I hope...if they are not legitimate. this is a lot of stress for an old grandmother. and it is the weekend and I can not check with the bank until Monday. oh I hope so much that Call to Resolve.com is an honest place. I do feel scared tho.

Sep 12, 2015 7:12 AM in response to stedman1

I hope I do not have another stroke over this. I am too sad now. and feel panic. will waiting until Monday hurt me? I am so..not very smart about computer things. what about iCloud preferences that keeps popping up for me to deal with. saying...this Mac can't connect to iCloud because of a problem with my email? seems like all my issues began when i tried to fix iCloud. I am not even sure what iCloud is. and the other one that keeps vying for my attention is called...oh my. can't think of it. something like iCloud. I was fine before all the clouds showed up.

Sep 12, 2015 9:14 AM in response to yomamabird

is zipcloud a safe thing? it keeps wanting me to respond as well. zip cloud and the other cloud thing. I seem to do just fine without them. it was when I repsonded to those pop ups that my troubles began. which led me to try to find something to get them off my computer. which led me to ending up with Call to Resolve and me giving away my security 😟 I want to learn about these things so I will not be fooled again. thank you.

Is a software support company named Call to Resolve a legitimate support company?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.