Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terminal Commands from Apple do not work to transfer iPhoto pictures to Photo app.

I updated to Yosemite...and now I cannot get Photos to retrieve my pictures from my iPhoto Library. I have tried the commands provided by Apple (If Photos can’t copy or create a library - Apple Support) and they do not work. I THINK it is because my pictures are not in the default location (Mac1/Pictures) as per the instructions from the commands. They are on my desktop (Mac1/Desktop/Official iPhotos/iPhoto Library)

The specific error I am receiving is: "Photos was unable to make a copy of your library before preparing it. Photos does not have the necessary permissions..."

So my true question is instead of "...your_username /Users/your_username/Pictures" should I do "...your_username /Users/your_username/Desktop" or what??

I've had iPhotos since 2007 and I am freaking out-hoping I haven't lost my all my pictures and events. :/

Thanks

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 9:04 AM

That's mighty hard to read there, and you might be best sticking to the standard fonts going forward.

It might be more simple to just put the Library in the correct and expected location - the Pictures folder.

6 replies

Jul 3, 2015 9:44 AM in response to Old Toad

Oh I I wish that was the case but iPhoto doesn't work anymore. When you try to open it it says..."In order to open "iPhoto", you need to update to the latest version. The version of iPhoto installed on this Mac is not compatible with OS X Yosemite. Download the latest version for free from the Mac App Store."

Then when you click the Search App Store it says: "Item Not Available. The item you've requested is not currently available in the U.S. store."

I'm also in the US. So that strange.

But I do appreciate your time.

Thank You

Jul 3, 2015 10:01 AM in response to smprfy07

Follow the directions posted by Tererence Devlin in this post:

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If iPhoto 9.6.1 is there, close the App Store, drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash and then go back to the App Store.

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

Jul 25, 2015 12:18 PM in response to smprfy07

Not sure if this will help anyone, but here is what worked for me when I was receiving the error "Photos unable to make a copy of library because it does not have the necessary permissions". I first tried the instructions to use the Terminal and kept getting error messages such as "illegal operation", I repaired my library permissions, rebuilt the database...NOTHING was working.

Once I determined that my iPhoto library was indeed located in my Pictures folder, I did the following:

• Opened finder
  • Right-clicked on Pictures in the left navigation pane
  • Selected Get Info (and a Pictures Info box opened up)
  • Under the General section, I found that this folder was locked - so I unchecked the Locked box

Then I opened the Photos app again and it promptly prepared my library. Everything works as it should and all is right in my little Mac world now.

Good luck!

Terminal Commands from Apple do not work to transfer iPhoto pictures to Photo app.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.