Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I installed to my Imac late 2012, a ssd Samsung Evo 850, replacing the original HDD. With the new version of Yosemite 10.10.4 is suitable to enable Trim ?

I installed to my Imac a ssd Samsung Evo 850, replacing the original HDD. With the new version of Yosemite 10.10.4 is suitable to enable Trim?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2015 4:28 AM

This is not an answer, but I need help.

Are you using a 21.5" iMac or the 27" iMac. If 21.5, have you had any issues with the SSD? When you use BlackMagic Disk Speed Test,, how fast is the speed?

My 850 EVO fails to be recognised half the time I boot my iMac up.

13 replies

Jul 11, 2015 7:31 AM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

Apple does not support trim on third party SSDs, so if you enable it, you may - or may not - have unexpected results. Personally, I have an SSD from OWC and they have advised not to use it on theirs, so I will not as long as the SSD is covered by their warranty as it'll be their nickel if something goes wrong with it.

Beginning with 10.10.4 Apple kind of began supporting third party SSDs. I have 2 Macs (1 iMac and 1 MM) with OWC SSDs that using 10.10.4 and used the

Sudo trim force enable command on successfully. This is outlined in many articles including:

http://www.macissues.com/2015/07/01/how-to-enable-trim-on-third-party-ssds-in-os -x/#more-3589

Jul 11, 2015 8:19 AM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

Yes, thanks, I saw that - however, I've also read quite a few discussions on this "kind of support" (both pro and con) and because it's an OWC SSD with Sandforce and they told me not to, I won't do it and, until it is better "integrated" and/or one does not need a terminal hack command.

Totally understand. I have had Trim installed since 10.10.4 was released, so far both computers are running extremely well.

Jul 11, 2015 8:20 AM in response to franciscojzuniga

The Samsung SSDs 400 500 EVO and EVO Pro have design faults: data loss. And a Fault in the controller that makes Trim even more dangerous as normal.

Samsung knows these failures already for more than half a year, until now they did not succeed to make a FirmwareUpdate available. They expect to have it in the near future, but it will not correct the failures: it will refresh all data every 3-6 months to avoid the data loss, it will slow down the disk and Trim will stay as dangerous as before. I would return the SSD and buy another brand (also without installing Trim).

I send you 1 of dozens articles about the issues in these drives, with enough side information about Trim to rethink installing it,

the title is not very aarming, but read the article to the end:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/203449-new-samsung-840-evo-firmware-will-add-p eriodic-refresh-capability

Lex

I installed to my Imac late 2012, a ssd Samsung Evo 850, replacing the original HDD. With the new version of Yosemite 10.10.4 is suitable to enable Trim ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.