Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos won't go to iCloud

I am trying to transfer my photos to iCloud because I only have 1.96 GB free on my Macbook Air, but I now have 200 GB of iCloud storage. The problem is that I supposedly don't even have enough space to transfer the full size photos to iCloud. I have the option to "Optimize Mac Storage" checked, but I am still getting an error which says, "This Mac is no longer updating because there is not enough space to store optimized versions of your photos and videos." This does not make sense to me. Shouldn't the optimized versions take up less space than the full size versions, so shouldn't it still be able to transfer the photos to iCloud and then only store the smaller versions on my Mac?

I am not sure how to resolve this issue. My Mac keeps on notifying me that I my storage is full, but it won't transfer my photos.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 9:15 AM

1 reply

Jul 3, 2015 12:22 PM in response to EMGRRI

I am trying to transfer my photos to iCloud because I only have 1.96 GB free on my Macbook Air

With only 1.92 GB of free storage there is no working storage at all left for the system to operate safely. You have to free space before you can try to migrate your Photos library to iCloud.

Try the following:

• Copy your Photos library to an external drive.
  • Test the library on the external drive, and if it works, delete it from the internal drive.
  • Enable the library on the external drive as your system photos library. Disable optimize storage. Then sync this library to iCloud.
  • When all photos have uploaded to iCloud create a new library on the internal drive and make this library your System Photos Library. Enable iCloud Photo Library and enable "optimize Mac Storage".
  • Now it for the optimized versions to download to your Mac.

Photos won't go to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.