Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressor 4 software

Hi, is compressor 4 a good additional software package to final cut pro x for working with footage that requires extensive audio correction? Anyone know how much it is?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 8:54 AM

IIt's $50 in the App Store, but I don't think it will do what you want, if I understand what you're looking for.

21 replies

Jul 3, 2015 11:26 AM in response to Russ H

Thanks Russ, I am familiar with Audacity and have tried selecting the audio and exporting it as a wav file and then importing it into Audacity.

I was hoping to see if noise removal, normalising and using the equaliser to bring the voice forward from the room tone would improve audibility.

However, it made very little difference.

I had wondered if the compressor 4 software was more sophisticated than Audacity? Maybe they're not even the same thing?

I wasn't sure if it would be okay to export the wav file to another program, work on it and then drop it back into the multicam?

Do you know if

I would need to re-sync the video with the repaired audio in multicam?

Is it okay to do this after you've edited?

I'm on my second session now so I think this time I'll tackle the audio before I edit. Thanks for your comments!

Jul 3, 2015 11:34 AM in response to Fiona Trainee Editor

One other thing Russ, I only see a few tools like Loudness, Noise Removal and Hum Removal along with an equaliser in the inspector when I click on audio. Are there more tools in the inspector that I could be accessing to improve the audio.

The audio I'm working with in this session is camera only audio which as I'm sure you know when tweaking is difficult to push the room tone back and the voice forward. So I'm not sure if there are enough tools in FCPX to help repair the audio or if trying to improve camera only audio is a waste of time?

Jul 4, 2015 6:25 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Much appreciated Tom! iZotope wouldn't be within my reach so I will have to leave it to someone else to upscale the audio to a better level.

Just one other question in reference to aspects and frame rates.

Initially I converted the files from m4v to mov which I understand was correct thing to do but I notice in the info tab that the size and frame rate are not the norm.

When I'm filming I use 24 or 25frs but these files seem to be almost 30frs which would indicate NTSC and the image size is rather small at 640x 480 (not widescreen). Is this frame rate okay for YouTube?

I'd like widescreen but not sure if I can change the aspect? See info below:

User uploaded file

Thanks again.

Jul 4, 2015 12:54 PM in response to Fiona Trainee Editor

Unfortunately this is not good at all. You have taken what looks like decent HD 1080 material and used some horrible software to completely crush it down to SD in the wrong aspect ratio.

How much of this media do you have? You can use MPEG Streamclip, which I see you have, or Compressor if you have that, or even Handbrake would be better than this garbage software. If you have time I would suggest rebuilding the project to its real size and quality.

Compressor 4 software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.