Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where does Pages 5.5.3 autosave untitled documents?

I used pages to write a document which I exported as a PDF to print it. I'm not sure if I saved the pages version, because every time I quit & reopened pages, it was still there. However, I just had my logic board replaced and the genius recommend that I only import certain files / folders from my time machine backup & now non of the recent-documents I had are showing up. I did a time machine backup right before the work was done, so I presume this information must be saved somewhere on the backup, but I can't find anything online about where these untitled autosaved documents would be?

To be clear, I mean documents that may not have been saved by me, but reappear the next time you open the app.

Thanks in advance for the help!

RA

MacBook Air (13-inch Late 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 8:53 AM

8 replies

Dec 28, 2017 2:26 AM in response to Asd00

When you launch Pages with a new document, the smart thing to do is immediately save the document with a meaningful name other than Untitled.pages. This assures two things: 1) document permanence (until you delete it), and 2) autosave will preserve your changes approximately every 10 - 15 seconds (across editing sessions).

If you ignore the advice in the first paragraph, then autosave will accumulate your content in the Untitled.pages document until you close the document, or quit Pages — at which time the temporary data reflected in the Untitled.pages document is removed, and all of your accumulated work in that initial session is lost.

Many of the lost Pages document posts in this community occur because the first paragraph was ignored.

Jul 3, 2015 1:13 PM in response to Rax Adam

If you never saved them, even as "Unsaved" then probably they are not on your hard drive or in iCloud, or Time Machine.

You have to save the file the first time to give them a name, even if that is "Untitled". Then OSX will autosave to that file.

Usually Pages will save to the last place you browsed to when you last saved.

If that happens to be inside your System Library, Spotllght won't search there. Easyfind [free]will.

Are you sure your Hard Drive was not also replaced when they worked on your Mac? It sounds like it because the techie recommended restoring from your Time Machine. The original hard drive will have beens where all your files were.

Peter

Jul 3, 2015 4:14 PM in response to Rax Adam

With Yosemite 10.10.3 and Pages 5.5.3, "unsaved" documents are saved in:

[Your hard drive] > Users > [your home folder] > Library > Containers > com.apple.iWork.Pages > Data > Library > Autosave information

Your user library might be hidden ( you can get there by Option clicking the Finder's Go menu), and com.apple.iWork.Pages is a package; right click and select "Show Package Contents" to drill down into it.

Mar 20, 2016 8:04 AM in response to Jeff Shenk

Hi Jeff

I'm dying to recover a Pages document that for some reason I worked on a few days and didnt save (and accidentally closed). Do you think there's any chance?

I'm using Yosemite 10.10.5 and Pages 5.6

I have looked for the autosave documents where you mentioned but there's not a folder, there's this and I cannot open it. Thanks a lot!

GEMAUser uploaded file

Mar 20, 2016 9:21 AM in response to Rax Adam

I open and save an Untitled.pages document to my Desktop. This starts autosave, and I add some text without deliberately saving it. Next, I look in my local Library/Autosave Information folder and it is empty. Then I look in the following location, and find current time stamped files that are named data.data, window_1.data, and window_4.data. These files are not associated with any application, and particularly not openable by Pages. A hex dump shows gibberish.

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.iWork.Pages/Data/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.iWork.Pages.savedState/

Quitting Pages normally, also clears out the files in the above directory location.

There are no tools that can take those autosaved intermediary Pages data files, and rebuild a Pages document from them. Knowing where these files are kept becomes pointless, and knowing how to use Pages correctly more meaningful.

Where does Pages 5.5.3 autosave untitled documents?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.