Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HD corruption - OS X partition now thinks it's FAT

Well, I've got myself in a bit of a pickle here. I have been trying to do creative (unsupported, of course 🙂) things with my rMBP. I had been using multiple partitions successfully with OS X 10.9 and Boot Camp. I was finally going to upgrade to 10.10, but the installer didn't like my extra partitions, which means it wouldn't install a recovery partition, which I did want installed. So I began the process of removing the extra partitions, and things were going fine - until I removed an extra NTFS partition, rebooted, and—nothing. Wouldn't boot to either OS X or W7. Recovery partition wasn't available either. So I made a bootable OS X 10.9 flash drive and I boot from that. Disk Utility is now telling me it thinks my HFS+ OS X partition is FAT32. Oops! Attempting "Repair Disk" from Disk Utility doesn't help.

So, I'm looking for suggestions as to Next Steps. I am technically savvy, so I am willing to use the command line (very familiar with gdisk at this point, FBOW 🙂) if that's what it takes. I do have a TM backup of the OS X partition—but if I restore from that will I wipe out my Windows 7 NTFS partition as well? I have an old version of Drive Genius and I'm considering upgrading to see if that would help at all - but that's $50 I'd rather not pay (but would if it will keep me from reinstalling everything). Would something like GPartEd work in reassigning partition types? Thanks for any suggestions here!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 10:38 AM

3 replies

HD corruption - OS X partition now thinks it's FAT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.