Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple daily crashes on fresh Mac Pro

Mac Pro (late 2013 model), purchased less than one year ago.

It is becoming unusable due to multiple daily "hangs" - the only way to resolve is holding power button until computer shuts off. After restart, Apple bluetooth keyboard needs to be re-paired each time (not the mouse however).

I performed a complete reformat of the system, zapped PRAM, reset SMC, and have minimal software installed. Primarily using Adobe CS4 Web Premium and FCPX.

Connected devices:

• Apple wireless keyboard and magic mouse
  • Apple 23" Cine display via thunderbolt adapter
  • 3TB thunderbolt GDrive
  • 1TB Seagate USB3.0 drive
  • Connected to internet via Time Capsule

An Applecare rep suggested I might have to bring system into Genius Bar, but I don't know how to demonstrate symptom. It can be hours between crashes, and there seems to be no pattern to what causes them.

Perhaps run a video of the spinning color wheel each time a crash happens? Trying to find out what to do...

Yosemite 10.10.4, 3.7 GHz Quad-Core, 64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), null

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 10:39 AM

5 replies

Jul 3, 2015 11:10 AM in response to inte_moto

The information needed is in the System Log, "All messages".

Note the time at your next forced Restart, and when your Mac is running again, use Console.app to examine the log. If you are the Admin, the new startup will be marked with a distinctive BOOT TIME line, often highlighted.

What was happening right before it became unresponsive? You can cut and past a screenful of that log in a response on the forums, and Readers will look into it for possible issues.

Jul 8, 2015 2:34 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Just had to hold power button for 10 sec to restart once again.

I had Safari, Mail, and iTunes open, and had stepped away from the system for a while. When I returned, the screensaver pattern was frozen, along with everything else.

Console messages in screenshot below. The system was idle this entire time. Last five entries are four kernel errors of some sort and a "failure to connect":

User uploaded file

Feb 15, 2016 1:55 PM in response to inte_moto

My Mac Pro does the same thing. It just hangs multiple times a day. My iMac runs for months without a crash. I think the Mac Pro is steaming pile of crap. It is just horrible. One should expect quality from a $7,000 dollar machine. And this is the second Mac Pro I have had. The first one completely failed twice before they agreed to give me new one.

There's probably little to be done as they all seem to be defective. I will never buy another one of these junky Mac Pros again. I will stick with the iMac from now on. Very disappointed.

Multiple daily crashes on fresh Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.