Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No favicons in Safari?

Hello,

Recently switched to Safari from chrome. Found almost all substitutes in Safari through extensions and configuration.

Only one thing is lacking -- the bookmark sidebar and favorites bar don't show the favicons.

Is there a hidden setting somewhere? Or a hack?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), (On El Capitan)

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 10:11 AM

8 replies

Jul 10, 2015 5:34 PM in response to Eric Root

Have been using safari exclusively for the last full week. Wanted to share my thoughts.

Good:

1. It is fast and responsive. Behaves well, even with 15 tabs open. This was the main reason I switched to safari.

2. I like the keychain/iCloud integration. I may get rid of 1password app.

3. Reading list is more useful than I initially thought. I use it only within Safari as a way to bookmark links temporarily until I have read them.

4. "Enter Responsive Mode" is a convenient option in dev tools.

Bad:

1. The tabs are all flat- colored. With several tabs open, it is difficult to tell which one is open.

2. I am still can't to get used to the lack of favicons in the bookmark toolbar and the sidebar.

In chrome (and FF), the favicons, and their colors help in navigating and sorting through the list of bookmarked links.

In Safari, it's a painful experience. For example, the user experience around opening a bookmarked link from a bookmarked folder of 25 links just doesn't feel right. Especially if you are used to a better UX for the same process in chrome, or even FF.

3. Fonts: The font size in the frame of the browser is way too small. And there is no way to increase it. The tiny font size + no favicons combination just feels wrong to me.

4. Very few extensions available. IT's pointless to even make a comparison with chrome store.

5. Developer tools (Web Inspector) is just OK.

-- The toolbar on the web inspector is way too tall.

-- I found the UX of common dev tools activities to be a bit janky and just not convenient.

-- In chrome, if I wanted to increase/decrease the value of a numerical element, say font size or padding, I can use up/down arrows and see its gradually changing effect. In Safari, you actually have to type out the new value and then look up to see its effects.

To sum up:

I have settled on using Chrome when I am developing, and Safari for everything else. When I am developing, I don't need many tabs open, so chrome does what it's supposed to do without crashing -- and I am ok with it. But of course, I want Safari to be the only browser that I use.

I really wish Apple would take Safari seriously and refine it. Browsers are becoming the single most used software on a computer.

For example, in my case:

-- google docs has replaced Word.

-- I access email and calendar in the browser, not in a mail client.

-- I use pandora and spotify in a browser. I rarely use itunes or a dedicated software.

-- Development tools are huge for developers. While looking for solutions for "missing" favicon issue, I came across a few discussion threads where developers were saying that Safari's poor developer tools is the only reason they haven't switched to Safari.

I am sure Apple knows the value of the browser. It's difficult for me to understand their lack of focus on it.

Or, maybe it is one of those situations where they feel that Apple's world-class designers have designed the perfect browser, just the way it is supposed to be.

And, people are just not getting it. But, they will, one day.

Oct 26, 2015 1:56 AM in response to macdaddy258

Totally agree that this is quite a bit backwards ...

I need several tabs open at once for my workflow ... but not having any favicons makes it hard to know which tab is what ...

How does Apple explain this ..? Or .. it may not be a priority.

One apple genius here at the store specifically told me not to use Chrome since it uses Flash and may heat up my Macbook... so what is the alternative then???

Puzzled.

😉

No favicons in Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.