Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 loss of storage after 8.4 update

hi everyone. I updated my iPhone 5 to get apple music and everything was fine on the day. I used 8gb of storage for offline music and had 2.5gb of storage left. Then the next day I deleted my spotify app and all of my offline Apple music albums disappeared but the I still only had 2.5 gb of storage left. Is there anything I can do to get the missing storage back? I also signed out of Apple music on my phone then signed back in and everything is gone! Thanks

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 9:49 AM

13 replies

Jul 5, 2015 1:06 PM in response to DanM3

Hi! I've the same issue. After updating my iPhone 5s 16Gb, the storage capacity reduced to 12 Gb. This is the total storage capacity shown in the iTunes in the Summary tab when the iPhone is connected. This value was over 13 Gb before 8.4. I've already restored from the latest backup, nothing changed.

Jul 7, 2015 9:33 AM in response to DanM3

Same issue here. I got an out of storage space message a day or two after updating to 8.4. I've always had gigs of free space on my iPhone. I delete some apps and other things and had 2gb free. A little later same message again, running out of space. I had only megabytes left of free space. So I go all out, delete videos, photos I don't want. Free space now showed 7.4 gigs. Next morning, 5.4 gigs free.

All of my previous free space plus at least about 4 gigs of additional space have been consumed by something since the 8.4 update. I had disabled the new music after having that on for a few days thinking it was casing this, but I'm still losing free space. I added maybe 20 songs to my available offline not even near close enough to account for the gigs of lost free space. I run the system as manual as possible. Nearly all apps are disabled for background updating and notifications. All notifications are off for apps. I try to disable all automatic updating, music downloads, app downloads etc.

Something is gobbling up gigs. I have even taken screenshots of the usage screen to see which category is growing, they aren't. The listed things such as photos, apps, video are not growing, only the shrinkage of my videos since I deleted them.

Jul 10, 2015 11:44 AM in response to Ingo2711

I have not tried that yet. I have to remove some authentication apps from online services before I do that.

Another update: I now have 1.8GB of free data and my mail is working again. I've done nothing to manage storage since it dropped to zero in the past few days. It did reboot without warning right prior to my storage space returning and my mail resyncing.

Strange things going on with this phone. I should have around 9 or 10 gigs of free space so there is still an issue.

Jul 10, 2015 2:16 PM in response to PhillipDuran

Latest update. Everything seems to be back to normal. There was definitely something going on.

I now have 26GB of free space. I only dumped around 9 GB of items during my troubleshooting of this problem. So something in this mess consumed 26GB of space and caused problems for about a week.

What the heck? That is crazy.

I did nothing to fix it. The problem went away after the device rebooted on its own today. I had rebooted the phone several times during the week to attempt to fix the problem and it did not fix it.

Aug 2, 2015 2:11 PM in response to PhillipDuran

This EXACT same thing is happening to me!!! I am losing my mind. My phone has turned into a brick almost. I have no more storage. I had to delete all of my photos, very little of my music is available offline, and there is no rhyme or reason to the loss of storage. Every hour the available storage changes from 0 to 1.5 gigs. It could be 700 megs one moment and 1 gig the next, 0 the next. iOS 8.4 destroyed my phone.

I see your latest update where it cleared up on its own after a week?? I may have to wait a week then? I just started experiencing all of this the other day when I finally downloaded 8.4

iPhone 5 loss of storage after 8.4 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.