Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2008 Mac Pro Power Supply Issue

Hello fellow travelers.

I woke up this morning (as many a great blues song begins) and my faithful 2008 Mac Pro had crashed (powered itself down).

It won't restart. Nothing. No lights, no chimes, no fan, not a sound, not a murmur. Just me groaning.

I have tried a different cable/cord. Plugged in to a different surge protector. Unplugged - replugged. Danced with the devil.

I have held the power up button down for 10 seconds and released, 20 seconds and released. And so on in vain.

I have made a Genius Bar appointment but this being the July 4 weekend it's not for a couple of days.

I am assuming, in the meantime, that it's the power supply that has croaked.

I don't want to pull it apart yet till the Genius Bar folk have confirmed this (and charged me for the diagnostic pleasure) but does anyone know the model or part type of the Power Supply I would need for a 2008 Mac Pro (Quad Core)?

Also, is installing it something I could do myself? I'm reasonably adept with a Philips screwdriver.

Lastly, is eBay my best resource for finding one or is there a reputable dealer of refurbished or new Mac parts for older Macs that someone can recommend?

Many thanks for any advice even if ts just sympathy.

Cheers.

Adrian S

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 9:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 11:12 AM

The PRAM battery can frequently be a problem.

http://www.ifixit.com/ has many good procedures.

RAM can become unseated, and so can the PCI cards.

3 replies

Jul 3, 2015 11:30 AM in response to Adrian Smith4

I don't want to pull it apart yet till the Genius Bar folk have confirmed this (and charged me for the diagnostic pleasure)

There is no charge for evaluation of your Mac at an Apple Store when you have an appointment. If you choose to have them make repairs, almost all services are flat rate, no surprises.

You must be thinking of the Car d[St]ealership.

2008 Mac Pro Power Supply Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.