Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't hear through receiver on iphone 5c - why?

I've had my iPhone 5 for a year. I can no longer hear calls through the ear piece - receiver at top. The other end of the call can hear me, but all I get is silence. I can hear with speaker on.

What is problem and fix?

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 10:08 AM

First, reset the phone by holding the sleep and home button for about 10sec, until the Apple logo comes back again. You will not lose any data by resetting, but it can cure some glitches.

If this does not work, and to make sure that this is not software related, set it back to factory settings, without using any backup data afterwards. Set up the rest of the personal settings manually and test the phone.

If the phone works, restore from the latest backup. If the problem comes back, the backup data contained corrupt data, causing your issues.

If it still does not work, this is a hardware issue and the phone has to be serviced by Apple or an Authorized Apple Service Provider:

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

Find an Apple Authorized Service Provider

iPhone - Contact Support - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2015 10:08 AM in response to Bruce L.

First, reset the phone by holding the sleep and home button for about 10sec, until the Apple logo comes back again. You will not lose any data by resetting, but it can cure some glitches.

If this does not work, and to make sure that this is not software related, set it back to factory settings, without using any backup data afterwards. Set up the rest of the personal settings manually and test the phone.

If the phone works, restore from the latest backup. If the problem comes back, the backup data contained corrupt data, causing your issues.

If it still does not work, this is a hardware issue and the phone has to be serviced by Apple or an Authorized Apple Service Provider:

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

Find an Apple Authorized Service Provider

iPhone - Contact Support - Apple Support

Can't hear through receiver on iphone 5c - why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.