Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NVRAM Reset

Hello All...

I've been struggling with the inability to reset the NVRAM on my MacPro (Desktop; tower). Does anyone know an alternate to the standard Command/Option/P/R keys at startup method? (When I attempt this, the computer starts as though I've done nothing...single chime>login screen...apparently not recognizing the keys being held down) I've read that if Apple's firmware protection has been enabled, then the this can be one of the results (not recognizing these key presses). However, I have never enabled firmware protection, nor do I know where I might look to see if somehow it's been erroneously enabled.Does anyone know anything further about this?

That being said, the reason I'm wanting to reset the NVRAM is I'm experiencing several mysterious behaviors as of recent...

1. My magic mouse has been acting erratically, lagging and skipping, rendering it virtually useless.

2. I can no longer access my CD/DVD drives. They show in Disk Utility, but are grayed out, and indicates the drive is busy (I have 2, and the same for both)

3. When the computer has been asleep for longer periods (12 hr+), it won't wake by pressing a key on the keyboard, nor the mouse, I need to press the power button. (This never was the case previously)

Not sure what to do from here, if anyone has a solution to this vexing problem, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Buildude

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), OWC Accelsior SDD

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 10:37 AM

6 replies

Jul 6, 2015 8:04 AM in response to Buildude

Pull everything inside and out. Do SMC Reset - hitting power button for 10 seconds while all cables are disconnected along with power.

I don't know where the logicboard reset button is - there was one originally in 2006.

Use to be (G4 MDD) we had to pull all the RAM also to get a computer that would not boot to return to functional.

Only reason to really clear NVRAM would be to rebuild and create the device tree.

I am NOT SURE about our Intel Mac and its EFI but the easy way, and necessary for G5 frequently, was to do so in single user mode and tell OpenFirmware - very easy and safe to boot into OF mode. That is not an option. Doing so while booted (Safe Mode? make a difference?) would be from Terminal and issue whatever Man Page shows as valid EFI command for NVRAM.

Apple keyboards has firmware and act as USB hubs so they can be trouble and iffy. A cheap $10 PC kb is fine. Same for mice I assume.

I had trouble with my Mac Pro (1,1) and trouble with zapping PRAM/NVRAM and also once with optical drive not showing up and where SMC cleared that.

NVRAM Reset

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.