Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot update software on MacBook Pro7,1 (OS X10.6.8)

I cannot update my software. Long time since I last did one & I'm aware I may have to do more than one. I click install, computer restarts, then goes straight to screen saver, then eventually back to my signin. I can hear that it isn't installing, have tried 6-7 times. Looked in Help, followed directions on disabiling the screensaver but the directions said "go to desktop/screensaver", click button to not let it go to sleep (under energy saver). I do not have this option. I did go to both desktop/screen. & energy saver & tried every combo to disable or not let it sleep but nothing works. HELP...Nicky

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 11:20 AM

If your Mac is already running OS X 10.6.8, the only way to "UPGRADE" your software is to either download the free OS X Yosemite if your Mac meets the minimum hardware/software requirements or pay for a special download code for earlier OS X versions OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

Before embarking on a major OS upgrade, it would be wise, advisable and very prudent if you have a good,working backup of your current system to an external connected and Mac formatted Flash drive OR externally connected USB, Thunderbolt or FireWire 800, Mac formatted hard drive. Then, use either OS X Time Machine app to backup your entire system to the external drive OR purchase, install and use a data cloning app, like CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper, to make an exact and bootable copy (clone) of your entire Mac's internal hard drive. This step is really needed in case something goes wrong with the install of the new OS or you simply do not like the new OS, you have a very easy way/procedure to return your Mac to its former working state.

Then, determine if your Mac meets ALL minimum system install requirements.

OS X 10.7 Lion system requirements

Purchased emailed download code here.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

Apple will send you an email for the special download code for the Mac App Store within three days of purchasing the download code.

To use OS X 10.7 Lion, make sure your computer has the following:

An Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor

Mac OS X v10.6.6 or later to install via the Mac App Store (v10.6.8 recommended)

7 GB of available disk space

2 GB of RAM

To install OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or OS X 10.10 Yosemite (currently available free upgrade) you need one of these Macs:

OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion purchased emailed download code here.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6377Z/A/os-x-mountain-lion

Apple will send you an email for the special download code for the Mac App Store within three days of purchasing the download code.

iMac (Mid-2007 or later)

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later),

MacBook Pro (15-inch or 17-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later)

MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)

Mac mini (Early 2009 or later)

Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)

Xserve (Early 2009)

Your Mac also needs:

OS X Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard v10.6.8 already installed

2 GB or more of memory (I strongly advise, at least, 4 GBs of RAM or more)

8 GB or more of available space

Next,

If you run any older Mac software from the earlier PowerPC Macs, then none of this software will work with the newer OS X versions (10.7 and onward). OS X Snow Leopard had a magical and invisible PowerPC emulation application, called Rosetta, that worked seamlessly in the background that still allowed older PowerPC coded software to still operate in a Intel CPU Mac.

The use of Rosetta ended with OS X Snow Leopard as the Rosetta application was licensed to Apple, from a software company called Transitive, which got bought out, I believe, by IBM and Appe could no longer secure their rights to continue to use Rosetta in later versions of OS X.

So, you would need to check to see if you have software on your Mac that maybe older than, say, 2006 or older.

Also, check for app compatibilty here.

http://roaringapps.com/

If you have any commercial antivirus installed and/or hard drive cleaning apps installed on your Mac, like MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, TuneUpMyMac, MacCleanse, etc. now would be a good time to completely uninstall these apps by doing a Google search to learn how to properly uninstall these types of apps.

These types of apps will only cause your Mac issues later after the install of the new OS X version and you will have to completely uninstall these types of apps later.

Once you have determined all of this, you should be able to find the latest versions of OS X by clicking on the Mac App Store icon in the OS X Dock and then login to the Mac App Store using your Apple ID and password and if you purchased a download code, input that code.

You can then begin the download and installation process of installing the newer versions of OS X from the Mac App Store.

Good Luck!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2015 11:20 AM in response to NickyT333

If your Mac is already running OS X 10.6.8, the only way to "UPGRADE" your software is to either download the free OS X Yosemite if your Mac meets the minimum hardware/software requirements or pay for a special download code for earlier OS X versions OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion.

Before embarking on a major OS upgrade, it would be wise, advisable and very prudent if you have a good,working backup of your current system to an external connected and Mac formatted Flash drive OR externally connected USB, Thunderbolt or FireWire 800, Mac formatted hard drive. Then, use either OS X Time Machine app to backup your entire system to the external drive OR purchase, install and use a data cloning app, like CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper, to make an exact and bootable copy (clone) of your entire Mac's internal hard drive. This step is really needed in case something goes wrong with the install of the new OS or you simply do not like the new OS, you have a very easy way/procedure to return your Mac to its former working state.

Then, determine if your Mac meets ALL minimum system install requirements.

OS X 10.7 Lion system requirements

Purchased emailed download code here.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion

To use OS X 10.7 Lion, make sure your computer has the following:

An Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor

Mac OS X v10.6.6 or later to install via the Mac App Store (v10.6.8 recommended)

7 GB of available disk space

2 GB of RAM

To install OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or OS X 10.10 Yosemite (currently available free upgrade) you need one of these Macs:

OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion purchased emailed download code here.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6377Z/A/os-x-mountain-lion

iMac (Mid-2007 or later)

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, Late 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later),

MacBook Pro (15-inch or 17-inch, Mid/Late 2007 or later)

MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later)

Mac mini (Early 2009 or later)

Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later)

Xserve (Early 2009)

Your Mac also needs:

OS X Mountain Lion, Lion, or Snow Leopard v10.6.8 already installed

2 GB or more of memory (I strongly advise, at least, 4 GBs of RAM or more)

8 GB or more of available space

Next,

If you run any older Mac software from the earlier PowerPC Macs, then none of this software will work with the newer OS X versions (10.7 and onward). OS X Snow Leopard had a magical and invisible PowerPC emulation application, called Rosetta, that worked seamlessly in the background that still allowed older PowerPC coded software to still operate in a Intel CPU Mac.

The use of Rosetta ended with OS X Snow Leopard as the Rosetta application was licensed to Apple, from a software company called Transitive, which got bought out, I believe, by IBM and Appe could no longer secure their rights to continue to use Rosetta in later versions of OS X.

So, you would need to check to see if you have software on your Mac that maybe older than, say, 2006 or older.

Also, check for app compatibilty here.

http://roaringapps.com/

If you have any commercial antivirus installed and/or hard drive cleaning apps installed on your Mac, like MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, TuneUpMyMac, MacCleanse, etc. now would be a good time to completely uninstall these apps by doing a Google search to learn how to properly uninstall these types of apps.

These types of apps will only cause your Mac issues later after the install of the new OS X version and you will have to completely uninstall these types of apps later.

Once you have determined all of this, you should be able to find the latest versions of OS X by clicking on the Mac App Store icon in the OS X Dock and then login to the Mac App Store using your Apple ID and password and if you purchased a download code, input that code.

You can then begin the download and installation process of installing the newer versions of OS X from the Mac App Store.

Good Luck!

I cannot update software on MacBook Pro7,1 (OS X10.6.8)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.