Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have a password or not?

I just worked on a Mac that needed updating, but when I tried to update it, it asks me for a user name and password. The owner has no idea what this is.

There only seems to be one account on the Mac (the one I am logged into). It is an admin account. If I restart that Mac I am not asked for a password, it just logs in.

So is there a password on this account? Surly it would ask me for it when I logged it if there were? But if there is no password, why am I being asked for one if when I try to update? (I did try using a bank password, but it would not accept that).

Is there a way to remove the forgotten password (if it exists that is).

Mac mini, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 10:10 AM

7 replies

Jul 3, 2015 12:08 PM in response to D.Cohen

Yes, it is the user account. This is (yet) connected to iCloud.

This is where I get confused. Your link says:

>If you don't know your current password

>If you forgot your user account password, start up your Mac and try to log in.

But it never asks me to log in. If I reset the Mac it logs itself in automatically, without ever asking me to login. I am right there on the desktop. Which makes me think there is no password. Only when I do the update, it asks me for a password.

Jul 4, 2015 6:31 AM in response to BDAqua

>It can be set to automatically login any user, PW or not,

Thank you, that is helpful to know. I guess that must be what is happening here.

>What version of OSX are you on?

It's currently on 10.4.7, I would like to bring it as up to date as possible. Ideally all the way to Yosemite so I can use iCloud Drive Photos to sync the photo collection with a different machine. It is an older Mac that has not been connected to the Internet for a long time. I know Apple stop supporting newer operating systems on old Mac, but I could not find the list which says how far up the upgrade path each model of Mac can go. This is an old iMac, with a 2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo and 1Gb of RAM. So I suspect I am not going to get Yosemite, but I need to update as far as I can to get all the bug fixes, that's blocked without a password at the moment.

From your description I need to try the password recovery link (which I will do next week). I am not hopeful of that being successful. I assume what I have to do in that case is back up the data and reinstall the OS from scratch.

Jul 4, 2015 10:09 AM in response to Ratbatty

In 10.4.x,open System Preferences>Accounts, does it say admin under your name?

To see how far your Mac can go OS wise...

At the Apple Icon at top left>About this Mac, then click on More Info, then click on Hardware> and report this upto but not including the Serial#...

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 6 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.21f4

Do I have a password or not?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.