Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac was shut down by power outage. now trying to boot up I get "Setting Up Your Mac..." and spinning wheel?

I have iMac 21.5. The computer was shut off during a power outage. When I turned it back on, I get a screen with "Setting Up Your mac..." and all it does is spin. What do I do?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 11:03 AM

Try resetting the PRAM, if the machine successfully restarts then get yourself a UPS and connect the Mac to it. If the machine will not restart then take it in for service, the power outage may have been associated with a power surge that may have damaged it. If the machine was connected to a UPS this should protect your computer and also give you enough power to do an orderly shutdown of the computer, yes even if you are not there!

iMac SMC and PRAM reset

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2015 11:03 AM in response to jschlosser

Try resetting the PRAM, if the machine successfully restarts then get yourself a UPS and connect the Mac to it. If the machine will not restart then take it in for service, the power outage may have been associated with a power surge that may have damaged it. If the machine was connected to a UPS this should protect your computer and also give you enough power to do an orderly shutdown of the computer, yes even if you are not there!

iMac SMC and PRAM reset

iMac was shut down by power outage. now trying to boot up I get "Setting Up Your Mac..." and spinning wheel?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.