Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 Install Problem

Hello,

I'm currently trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate x64 via boot camp onto my Late 2012 iMac 21inch, which is running Mac OS X 10.9.5 fully up to date. I first ran into the problem that it told me "No Bootable Device found" but i got around that and it started opening Windows. I get to the "Starting Windows" Screen but then it only shows the blue Installation Background of Windows 7 but there is no Installation Window to choose from.

Does anyone know how to fix that issue?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 11:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 11:36 AM

From iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012) - Technical Specifications , your Mac does not have an Optical drive. You will need to use a USB2 flash drive to create an installer via BCA or use an external Apple SuperDrive and physical DVD to install Windows. Which method or you using? You cannot use a USB3 flash drive.

7 replies

Jul 3, 2015 12:00 PM in response to Loner T

USB Flash Disk :

Product ID: 0x800f

Vendor ID: 0x6557

Version: 1.00

Serial Number: 0102000000006472

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: General

Location ID: 0x1d110000 / 5

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 500

Capacity: 32.02 GB (32,018,268,160 bytes)

Removable Media: Yes

Detachable Drive: Yes

BSD Name: disk1

Partition Map Type: MBR (Master Boot Record)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

Volumes:

WININSTALL:

Capacity: 32.02 GB (32,018,267,136 bytes)

Available: 31.95 GB (31,948,259,328 bytes)

Writable: Yes

File System: MS-DOS FAT32

BSD Name: disk1s1

Mount Point: /Volumes/WININSTALL

Content: DOS_FAT_32

Jul 3, 2015 12:45 PM in response to wunderbh

Are there any external USB Hub(s) through which the USB2 is connected? If not, then the USB should work. I have seen issues with some USB2 brands.

I first ran into the problem that it told me "No Bootable Device found" but i got around that and it started opening Windows.

How did you get "around" this issue?

You should run

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

How to Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Partial or failed installs can leave the NVRAM in a unknown state.

Jul 3, 2015 12:58 PM in response to Loner T

For the "No bootable Device" I just simply restarted the pc, holding the option key and chose the USB Drive as the device.

UPDATE:

I re-ran boot camp and formatted the drive via disk utilities once before using boot camp. This seems to have fixed the issue, boot camp did all it had, and restarted by it self without the no bootable device problem and is now showing the install process of windows.

I think formatting the usb drive via disk utility first does the trick.

Thanks anyways for your help 🙂

Windows 7 Install Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.