Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scamming on yahoo on my iMac

I have been told the security of my e-mail account on yahoo has been breached. The yahoo tech support man told me I need to buy a $158.00 software to repair the damage done not only to my yahoo account but also to my apple computer. My question is, can a security breach happen on my entire computer in this way, are there any low-cost ways of removing the breach, do I really need the software, can I just delete my yahoo account to remove it?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 10:46 AM

5 replies

Jul 3, 2015 4:50 PM in response to Linc Davis

The man, who called himself, Alan, did something unusual also. He asked me if I would mind if he used a device where he would "take control" of my computer. I let him because my former ISP had done so without a problem. He did this for 5 minutes or so, without talking, and without the cursor moving. Could this have given him any information he wanted? he seemed to make a simple sweet of some applications and then stopped and didn't talk for that time. Finally what should I do if I've been successfully scammed?

Jul 3, 2015 5:00 PM in response to karlssongunvor

If you know or suspect that a hostile intruder has either had physical access or has taken control of it remotely, then there are some steps you should take to make sure that the computer is safe to use.

First, depending on the circumstances, computer tampering may be a crime, a civil wrong, or both. If there's any chance that the matter will be the subject of legal action, then you should do nothing at all without consulting a lawyer or the police. The computer would be the principal evidence in such a case, and you don't want to destroy that evidence.

Running any kind of "anti-virus" software is pointless. If I broke into a system and wanted to leave a back door, I could do it in a way that would be undetectable by those means—and I don't pretend to any special skill as a hacker. You have to assume that any intruder can do the same. For example, commercial keylogging software—which has legitimate as well as illegitimate uses—won't be recognized as malware, because it's not malware.

The only way you can be sure that the computer is not compromised is to erase at least the startup volume and restore it to something like the state it was in before the attack. The easiest approach is to recover the entire system from a backup that predates the attack. Obviously, that's only practical if you know when the attack took place, and it was recent, and you have such a backup. You will lose all changes to data, such as email, that were made after the time of the snapshot. Some of those changes can be restored from a later backup.

If you don't know when the attack happened, or if it was too long ago for a complete rollback to be practical, then you should erase and install OS X. If you don't already have at least two complete, independent backups of all data, then you must make them first. One backup is not enough to be safe.

When you restart after the installation, you'll be prompted to go through the initial setup process for a new computer. That’s when you transfer the data from a backup in Setup Assistant.

Select only users in the Setup Assistant dialog—not Applications, Other files and folders, or Computer & Network Settings. Don't transfer the Guest account, if it was enabled.

Reinstall third-party software from original media or fresh downloads—not from a backup, which could be contaminated.

Unless you were the target of an improbably sophisticated attack, this procedure will leave you with a clean system. If you have reason to think that you were the target of a sophisticated attack, then you need expert help.

The above being done, change all Internet passwords and check all financial accounts for unauthorized transactions. Do this after the system has been secured, not before.

Scamming on yahoo on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.