Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

early 2008 iMac, with boot camp 5.1 and latest OS X can I install windows 8.1

There is a list from apple what windows is supported with which MAC but it also says somewhere that for windows 8.1 boot camp 5.1 is needed.

Does anybody know if it will work on my early 2008 iMac? Or should I just try and see. I had it installed before on this machine but operated it with Parallel. Now I want to use this old computer solely with windows.

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 11:31 AM

4 replies

Jul 3, 2015 8:34 PM in response to Loner T

I am using OS X 10.10.4

Boot Camp 5.1

I am all up to date, but just confused with the statement apple makes. Since windows 8.1 uses 64 bit and perhaps my early 2088 can not use 64 bit, that might be the problem. At least that is what I suspect from the apple support list information. Just wonder why it would run under Parallel and not be supported under Boot Camp.

Worst case scenario I am using it with Parallel again, but it does not work 100% like a real windows.

Jul 3, 2015 8:50 PM in response to Grandos

From System requirements to install Windows on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support

iMac

Mac model Windows 8
64-bit
Windows 7
64-bit
Windows 7
32-bit
Windows Vista
64-bit
Windows Vista
32-bit
Windows XP
32-bit
iMac (24-inch, Early 2008) - - 4 - DVD DVD
iMac (20-inch, Early 2008) - - 4 - DVD DVD

Can you run the following highlighted command from OS X Terminal?

sysctl hw.cpu64bit_capable

hw.cpu64bit_capable: 1

early 2008 iMac, with boot camp 5.1 and latest OS X can I install windows 8.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.