Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you fix a MacBook Pro that will not boot in safe mode?

I have a MacBook Pro 15" from 2011 running OS X Lion that will not boot up. A blank gray screen came up on it while using it last night and now it will not boot back up. I can turn it on and get the Apple chime, but after the Apple logo appears the screen just goes gray without prompting me to login as normal. I have tried booting in safe mode via holding down Shift, but I still get taken to a blank gray screen. I have also tired resetting the NVRAM via Command Option P R as instructed in a Apple help article and this did nothing too. I have not had really any issues with my computer before. Can someone help me? Thanks & Happy 4th!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 12:15 PM

19 replies

Jul 3, 2015 1:01 PM in response to SeekingAppleHelp1

Boot the MBP with the OPTION + COMMAND + R keys.

The result should be a display with a revolving globe.

By following the instructions, you will be connected to the Apple servers.

You should be presented with a 4 option menu.

Select Disk Utility.

Run Disk Utility>First Aid, Verify and Repair.

If the disk cannot be repaired, it will have to be replaced

A solid Internet connection will be required.

Ciao.

Jul 4, 2015 8:05 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

My internet connection is fine. The status bar would completely fill in a few minutes, but then goes back to the gray screen instead of presenting me with a menu.

My computer randomly booted properly twice, but then it froze during use and I'm back to the gray screen. I entered single user mode via Ctrl S and ran fsck -fy several times. I received messages saying, "The volume Macintosh HD appears to be ok." I also used Option D to run a diagnostic test and extended diagnostic test. Both test results said, "No trouble found." Any other suggestions? What do you think the problem could be? Thank you again for the help

Jul 4, 2015 8:23 AM in response to SeekingAppleHelp1

"I have a MacBook Pro 15" from 2011" "computer randomly booted properly twice, but then it froze during use"

The first thing that comes to mind is that there's a recall on this model:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

You might try taking it to Apple, have them run an ASD on it and hope that it fails. Make sure you make a backup of your hard drive using:

carbon copy cloner

https://bombich.com/

Super Duper

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Then hope that it fails the test. A Mac tech and I ran the ASD on my client's machine while we played around for 4 hours until it finally kicked out an error code. She took it to Apple w/ the code and they replaced the logic board under that old recall.

Other possibilities are a bad hard drive or HD cable even tho' it passes the diagnostic.

Do you have that external backup you can boot from? Press "option" at startup and select it.

Jul 4, 2015 10:10 AM in response to spudnuty

First of all, I did not know about the product recall. My Mac definitely meets a model on this list. Thank you. Second, how long do you think running an ASD at the Apple Store will take? If my computer fails, is this a quick fix or will I be without a laptop for a while? I do not have a backup or recovery, and was hoping to be able to create one if I could get the computer to boot up. What are the websites you listed? And am I correct to assume that I can only use them to create a backup when accessing them from the Mac I want to backup? If so, would I be doing this from the Apple Store once the test has been run? I'm unsure if this test or replacement part will cause me to lose data that isn't backed up. If you could elaborate, I'd certainly appreciate it. Thanks for your help!

Jul 4, 2015 10:18 AM in response to SeekingAppleHelp1

SeekingAppleHelp1 wrote:

Thank you. Apparently there is a product recall for the model I have too

The replacement program is for faulty GPU's. The symptoms you have described do not suggest to me that the GPU is the problem. With that said, testing for same is a good idea. I had a second hand 2011 MBP tested recently, including the GPU test, and it took no more that 15-20 minutes. (It got a clean bill of health).

Ciao.

How do you fix a MacBook Pro that will not boot in safe mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.