Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what happened to iTunes match?

updated to new iTunes.

signed out. signed in.

don't see iTunes match anywhere/anymore. not even under "account", where it used to have an option to "update iTunes match now".

what happened to my iTunes match? where do i find it? how do i get it back?

think i get an automatic recharge for subscription each year.

match just seemed to disappear when updated new iTunes.

thanks

a-

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2.9 Ghz Intel Core i7 8GB 1600 MHz

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 12:11 PM

18 replies

Jul 3, 2015 2:22 PM in response to anthonyitaliano

In the words of Apple, iTunes Match and Apple Music are independant yet

complimentary services. The independent part refers to operating on its own

should you cancel Apple Music, you would still have you music in the cloud.

Right now, you think iTunes Match isn't there but it's in the background as

you operate Apple Music. Confusion lies in that Apple Music is really a music

platform designed for streaming rights and access at $9.99/month. Don't be

fooled in thinking it's a cloud service. Your music is already part of the 30 million

plus tracks in the iTunes store. It really didn't upload you music to the cloud as

iTunes Match did when subscribing to that service. Should you choose to stop

renting music at $9.99 /month, you will be glad you kept iTunes Match as all

Apple Music service are canceled should you not renew each month.

Jul 4, 2015 6:36 AM in response to Brskiz

thanks.

but maybe i didn't state my question right.

i don't believe i even ever joined apple music nor tried the free 3 month trial.

still i don't see my iTunes match.

interesting thing is,

a few times when i reopened iTunes, and went to account, update iTunes match was there. when i clicked to update it, and it asked me to sign in/log in, it did what it always seemed to do: asked me to "add this computer", which is the same computer i use all the time.

only this time when i did it, still no match icon at top of iTunes, but in far right corner, it said something about "collecting my music for cloud, and then sending to iTunes..." which never seemed to complete. it said something about my iCloud timing out or something. it also seemed to be updating my genius, which had clicked on, as well.

i just want to make sure all my music is still going to match.

as i said, i never signed up for apple music.

but how do i know my iTunes match is still working properly?

thanks,

a-

Jul 4, 2015 10:08 AM in response to anthonyitaliano

I also have this problem! I followed the link "iTunes Match" at the bottom right corner of the "iTunes Store" window (I'm on a Windows PC). The first time I clicked "add computer"; it thought for a few minutes and then showed a message suggesting internet connectivity problems. I ran the iTunes diagnosis tool and it passed full connectivity with the iTunes website. I restarted; now, whenever I click "Add Computer" it gets stuck on that screen and does nothing (I let it work overnight just in-case it was going slow). I've further attempted "repairing" and reinstalling iTunes. No change.

I primarily use iTunes match for commercial free radio, but I now get commercials. Apple Music is not worth $120 a year to me, Match radio is worth $25 if it remains commercial free.

Jul 4, 2015 7:55 PM in response to Aimee277

iTunes Match is now referred to as iCloud Music Library. It's located under Music in Settings. This term is used wether or not you subscribed to the new Apple Music service so don't be alarmed. iTunes Match will function the same as before providing you didn't enroll in Apple Music. But if you did, iTunes Match is there for you if you ever decide to cancel Apple Music. Apple Music is really a streaming rental service which is great until you ever cancel. Then all you have is your purchased music unless you still have iTunes Match.

Jul 4, 2015 11:29 PM in response to anthonyitaliano

Your best bet is to ditch iTunes for good. With Google play, you can keep 25,000 songs in their system...same as what match does, only Google doesn't charge for this.

I Keep my personal music backed up in Google, and use Spotify for general listening....both totally free. Spotify has a paid option, but with free you can still listen to all their music, make playlists, connect on social media, etc.

Jul 5, 2015 6:34 AM in response to Brskiz

1) "It's located under Music in Settings."

where is this? i don't see this. where is "music" in "settings"?

"settings" where?

i this in iTunes? remember, i did not subscribe to apple music.

sorry for stupid questions.

2) one other thing. i believe i payed for iTunes match. i think it renews itself every year. however, i never in the past actually signed up for "iCloud". b4 downloading the new iTunes, my stuff would match on my devices (computer, iPhone, music on apple tv). does my imatch still work the way it used to? one time when i tried to sync w match via the iTunes store, after a lot of spinning, i got a message that said something like: "your iCloud session has ?expired (can't remember if that is the exact word).

3) what is THE BEST way to back up all my music in iTunes?

Jul 12, 2015 11:26 AM in response to anthonyitaliano

I can't find the "Settings > iTunes iCloud Library" either, but I DID find it in the top menu under iTunes > Preferences > General. It's the second checkbox down and toggles the music matching function that iTunes Match provides, but it does not actually say "iTunes Match" there.

To find iTunes Match info go the the iTunes Store and you'll find it at the VERY BOTTOM of the iTunes Store panel, like a web page footer. It's in the third column, titled "Features", last item listed. Click on that and it gives you a page titled "iTunes in the Cloud" that attempts to explain. It covers:

• Your new purchases. Automatically everywhere.
  • Your past purchases. Available on all your devices.
  • iTunes Match... $24.99/year
  • iTunes in the Cloud is part of iCloud

(Each has a "Learn More" link.)

Basically, it's pretty clear that as long as you have fewer than 25k songs besides what you purchased from iTunes, all your music is "matched" when you pay the $24.99 and check that box in Preferences > General that I mentioned above. It matches your music with the same songs in their library except those songs they have dropped from their library (we have seen this happen with more obscure music that we have).

It doesn't say anything about iTunes Radio, by the way, which is one of the reasons (besides matching) that I signed up for this service. I don't like the new Radio - they removed our ability to set up specific stations, and only display that last 18 "Recently Played". So if you have more than 18 stations, the ones you haven't played for a while will disappear. As a result I have not and will not update my mobile devices to this newest iTunes until they fix this. I want my stations. Clearly, Radio is not for the listener - its for Apple: nothing more than a vehicle to sell more iTunes music.

what happened to iTunes match?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.