Looks like no oneā€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Album artwork removed after iOS 8.4 update

My iPod has been updated to iOS 8.4 and all my album artwork has been removed; multiple resyncs hasn't rectified the issue either. Any idea how to get my album artwork to show again on my iPod?

Thanks

iPod touch, iOS 8.4

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 11:55 AM

22 replies

Oct 29, 2017 9:38 PM in response to Breeze23

I think your best bet is to retire your ipod, this has been happening since I bought my ipod, about 2+ years, it just happened again, so I will in fact retire it and use my galaxy s7 edge as my music player as well, just purchased a 264 gb micro SD, there are a few things I'd like to see the software do, I wanted to really love my ipod, but I am honestly so disappointed.

Jul 3, 2015 12:51 PM in response to Breeze23

Try:

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Unsync/delete all music and resync

To delete all music go to Settings>General>Usage>Storage>Manage Storage>Music>Tap edit in upper right and then tap the minus sign by All Music

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) arenā€™t affected.

- Restore from backup. See:

Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup - Apple Support

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

Jul 4, 2015 3:12 AM in response to lllaass

Thank you, i removed all the music as you said and resynced my iPod; now pretty much all my albums show the artwork.

But for some reason, a select few albums still aren't showing the artwork. Despite the fact that the artwork has been manually inserted by me via iTunes.

I think I'll just have to wait until Apple releases a fix.

Jul 4, 2015 1:15 PM in response to Breeze23

I guess Apple doesn't check how the updates will affect the masses. Just put it out there. They'll be fine. We'll apologize later for having wasted the time and efforts of millions of users who spent countless hours loading their expen$ive iPods with artwork.

I cringe every time Apple releases an update. I find myself asking every time how long is it going to take me to get my iPod back to normal after I update?

Hey Apple, you suck sometimes.

Jul 19, 2015 12:53 PM in response to Breeze23

SOLVED MY SYNCING PROBLEM, LOST ARTWORK AND MISSING PLAYLIST SONGS:

After updating my iPod touch to IOS 8.4 all my album artwork was gone. Syncing the iPod to iTunes did not restore the artwork to the iPod and new music was not transferred. Also updated iTunes to 12.2.4 at the same time. After the iTunes update, one of my playlists (which took many hours to create) was in the list, but the songs were gone.

I have not enabled iCloud or Apple Music.

Here is what worked for me after much research and trial and error and a non-productive call to Apple Care:

Getting Sync to work and restoring artwork:

1. iTunes > preferences > general > uncheck show apple music
  2. Performed the two button reset (Hold the top button and the round button at the same time until the iPod restarts and shows the Apple logo.
  3. Deleted all songs from the iPod: settings > general > usage > manage storage > music > Edit. Click minus sign in circle next to all songs, then press delete to remove songs from iPod, (I tried syncing without deleting songs from iPod but that did not work).
  4. Sync iPod with iTunes (I did this while signed into iTunes account in - not sure if that is required, but Activity Monitor showed data was being downloaded by iTunes at the beginning of the sync). Sync took around 4.5 hours because 6,500 songs in iTunes are ripped as Apple Lossless and my sync options are set to convert higher bit rate songs are to 192 kbps.

After this procedure, my iPod music artwork was restored as well as recently added music from iTunes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Restoring lost playlist songs and recently added music to iTunes (this happened after updating to iTunes 12.2.4)

Used procedure from::https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6561This text is from the above link:
Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash

1. With iTunes 12.2 or later it may pay to turn off iCloud Music Library and Apple Music before attempting to restore an older copy of your database as shown below. These options can be found under iTunes > Preferences > General (Mac OS X).
  2. In the Previous iTunes Libraries folder (inside your main iTunes library folder) there should be a number of dated iTunes Library files. Take the most recent of these and copy it into the iTunes folder. Rename iTunes Library.itl as iTunes Library (Corrupt).itl and then rename the restored file as iTunes Library.itl. Start iTunes. iTunes should now show all your content, bar any recent additions to or deletions from your library. Before doing this, make note of any recently added music by artist name & album name so you can find them to restore in step 3.
  3. When the backup has been restored you can use File > Add folder to Library and choose the iTunes Media folder to add in any new media added since the backup was made.
  4. Sync iPod with iTunes again to restore the lost playlist songs and recently added songs.

Aug 4, 2015 7:57 AM in response to Minnesota Steve

I'm curious how long your fix actually helps you. I'm on my second go round of basically nuking all of the music on my ipod and re-syncing my whole rather large library in an effort to restore the album art and to be able to add additional music. The lost album art is annoying. Not being able to sync in new music is absurd. The first time I applied "the fix" I was able to add the new music I had and the album art was restored. But then the art disappeared again. And finally I couldn't add additional music either. The lack of comment from apple on this is frustrating.

Aug 8, 2015 11:51 AM in response to spikeIt13

spikeit13,

So far the the fix has held up for me. Have synced twice to add new music with success and all album artwork and playlists are still showing on my iPod Touch. Sorry to hear you are having to resync a large library multiple times - very annoying and time consuming.

I recently noticed that the Genius Mixes that would sync to my iPod prior to the IOS 8.4 update are gone. Seems to be another downside of updating to IOS 8.4.

I must say, I am very unhappy (as evidenced by my use of italic type!) with Apple for causing me to go through all this to fix multiple problems with my iPod Touch 5th gen and iTunes software (which I expect to be compatible) resulting from Apple software updates which appear to have been released mainly to promote and enable the Apple Music service at the expense of usability of my existing music library which took considerable time to build and organize. Have been using Apple computers since the late 80's and IPods since they came out and have come to expect them to "just work", but am wondering if that is a thing of the past after this experience.

Aug 26, 2015 12:24 PM in response to gking92

Hello all this is my first time in this forum so please pardon my newbie behavior lol. I've been having the same issue as well and I was just wondering if anyone can help me. I never made an iTunes Match account, I don't have an Apple Music account, and I don't do Genius. My iTunes on my pc (Windows) is at 12.2.2 and my iPod Touch 5 is at 8.4.1. Three days ago I was listening to some music and noticed some discrepancies. I got on my pc and went thru my iTunes library with a fine tooth comb. Making sure album artwork and tags were all done correctly (this was before I turned off "Show Apple Music"). I plugged up my iPod and why the heck did I do that. It made a mess of 36 songs out of 1517, ugh! So I went back double checked every thing and my library still shows all my music is correctly tagged and album artwork is still in tack. So I saw numerous hopefuls mentioned turning off "Show Apple Music" on pc and device. So this is what I did. Synced iPod again NO LUCK! Took a chance to see what would happen if I purchased new music. I downloaded 12 new songs from iTunes. Only two songs show correct album art. This is nuts cause it's being downloaded legitimately thru iTunes.

So now I'm wondering is I reset the iPod to clear out ALL my music then sync the iPod will this fix the issue. Oh yes I did check ALL iTunes music folders and they ALL have correct tags and album art go figure. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm a little OCD when it comes to organizing my music lol and I see I'm not the only one. Thank you in advancešŸ˜‰

Aug 26, 2015 4:12 PM in response to EchoBaby

Hi all ok so after six hours and some change I have an update. Looks like disabling "Show Apple Music" did some justice. I followed the steps to delete all songs off my iPod then synced my iPod back with iTunes. Unfortunately there were still a few album arts missing. So I took a chance and deleted one of the songs with the wrong art. Then I hit sync again and all was well. I didn't want to take a chance and delete multiple songs and then try to sync so I took a chance and did the errors one-by-one. Whaaala! šŸ™‚ ALL my correct album art is back and then some. I want to thank EVERYONE on this thread as well as others who shared their tragedies and solutions. Hopefully my workaround will help too. Oh, and as far as the upcoming iOS9 update, I'm definitely going to wait and check the forums and see what others are experiencing before I update. I'll have to treat Apple the way I treat Android, wait for the kinks to be worked out. So much for "it just works!" lolšŸ˜

Album artwork removed after iOS 8.4 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.