Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to set up windows with bootcamp on my new mac. I have a windows disk but no Cd drive on new mac. Can I create a iso image using my old mac and use migration assistant to bring it to the new mac?

Using Macbook pro OSX 10.10.3. I want to transfer windows to my new macbook pro OSX 10.10.3. I have Windows 7 disk but no CD drive in new mac. Can I use old Mac CD ddrive to create a disk image and then use migration assistant to transfer that to new Mac?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 12:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 8:21 PM

1. If you want to install a new clean installation of Windows, you can use How to install Windows using Boot Camp - Apple Support and Create an ISO image for Boot Camp from a Windows installation DVD - Apple Support. Please be aware that 2015 Macs may not support W7 anymore.

2. If you want to transfer the entire Windows installation intact including your installed programs you should consider third-party tools like Winclone or CampTune to clone from the old Mac to the new Mac using OS X.

3. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-trans fer is another method to consider.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2015 8:21 PM in response to nancyfromlondonderry

1. If you want to install a new clean installation of Windows, you can use How to install Windows using Boot Camp - Apple Support and Create an ISO image for Boot Camp from a Windows installation DVD - Apple Support. Please be aware that 2015 Macs may not support W7 anymore.

2. If you want to transfer the entire Windows installation intact including your installed programs you should consider third-party tools like Winclone or CampTune to clone from the old Mac to the new Mac using OS X.

3. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-trans fer is another method to consider.

Jul 5, 2015 1:14 PM in response to nancyfromlondonderry

1. You do not need to return the Mac, unless it will not let you install a new copy of Windows 7. 2015 Macs and BCA do not support W7 anymore.

2. Go to About This Mac. What is the exact year/model of your current Mac?

3. If you need a clean Windows installation, you can use an external Optical drive (DVD/CD reader) and use a physical DVD to create an ISO image using the previous link. Once you have the W7 ISO on your new Mac, run Applications -> Utilities -> Bootcamp Assistant and use a USB2 flash drive to create a Windows installer using the ISO and the drivers needed to install Windows.

4. Once Windows is fully installed and working, boot your old and new Mac into Windows. Use the Windows Easy Transfer tool to get your files from the old Mac to the new Mac.

Is this what you want to do?

I want to set up windows with bootcamp on my new mac. I have a windows disk but no Cd drive on new mac. Can I create a iso image using my old mac and use migration assistant to bring it to the new mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.