Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external hard drive backup (Maxtor onetouch4)

I need to backup my Mac-book Pro to down new OS

presently have the Mac OS X

Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 12:04 PM

1 reply

Jul 5, 2015 12:32 PM in response to hapowell

Hey hapowell,

Thanks for the question. If I understand correctly, you want to backup the computer to an external HD. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support

Use Time Machine with external drives

Setting up Time Machine is as simple as connecting an external drive to your Mac. If you haven't already specified a backup device, Time Machine asks you when you connect a blank drive to your Mac if you want to use it for backing up.

User uploaded file

1. Click "Use as Backup Disk" to select this drive as your backup destination.
  2. Select the option to Encrypt backups if you want to prevent other users from accessing your backup without a password.

Your Time Machine drive needs to be formatted as Mac OS X Extended (Journaled). If you select an NTFS or FAT-formatted drive, Time Machine prompts you to reformat the drive. Important: Reformatting erases any files on the destination drive. If you're not sure if you want to erase the drive you connected, choose a different drive.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a good one,

Mario

external hard drive backup (Maxtor onetouch4)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.