Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro (Early 2009): Upgrade Advice Requested

Hello,

I bought an early 2009 Mac Pro from OWC and the machine runs really well. However, I am looking for advice with regards to future upgrading my device. I am not an Electrical Engineer so please forgive my "amateurish" knowledge. I am, however, a Computer Science major and am hoping to milk this machine for long term usage. Since this device has the capability of DIY expansion, I am asking the community to help accomplish this goal.

The current specs are:
2 X 2.93 GHz Quad Core Intel Xeon Processors
16GB RAM 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512 MB
750 HD I think 5500 RPM

My potential upgrades would be:
Processor: 12 Core (Dual 6 Core Unit)
RAM: 64GB short term, 128GB long term. From my reading, the motherboard "unofficially" supports 128GB.
Graphics Card: NVIDIA or AMD Radeon (Current Gen) with at least 2GB of dedicated RAM. I read Yosemite allows the GC to be upgraded.
Storage: 256 or 512 SSD for OS, 2TB for Files, 3 (or 4) TB for Backup, HD for Linux, HD for Windows.
Cooling: Maybe water cooling (if possible) or advanced cooling.

My only concern is when I upgrade any of the components, the computer will begin to overheat, causing things to become messy. I understand the newer the technology, the more efficient and less energy consumption is used. However, I live in a three story house and in a state where the Summer's are hot and want to make sure this device stays as cool as possible.

The programming I will be doing, is mostly done via XCode. I may install Windows on the device for my Visual C++ (right now I have a custom built PC for that, but may wipe it and give it to my brother). I do intend to install Red Hat to learn Linux. I may be doing some 3D programming for fun (OpenGL and Metal), which is why I am upgrading the graphics card.

Anyways, I would love to hear what your setups are and any advice you could give when upgrading the Mac Pro. (Especially the cooling situation)

Thank you!

~Lord Thalius

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 11:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 1:00 PM

Install a blade SSD for boot/system and scratch.

SSD Blade Drive for "Classic" Mac Pro

Samsung XP941 or SM951 in 2009 Mac Pro (5,1)?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8006/samsung-ssd-xp941-review-the-pcie-era-is-here /9

To install a 6-core processor you will have to update to firmware to the one for 2010 Mac

http://www.yourdailymac.net/2011/05/how-to-upgrade-your-mac-pro-2009-to-the-mac- pro-2010-firmware-supports-faster-cpus-a…

Usually a Mac Pro is I/O bound, not processor/core limited. Thus, little may be gained by updating the processors.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2015 1:00 PM in response to Lord Thalius

Install a blade SSD for boot/system and scratch.

SSD Blade Drive for "Classic" Mac Pro

Samsung XP941 or SM951 in 2009 Mac Pro (5,1)?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8006/samsung-ssd-xp941-review-the-pcie-era-is-here /9

To install a 6-core processor you will have to update to firmware to the one for 2010 Mac

http://www.yourdailymac.net/2011/05/how-to-upgrade-your-mac-pro-2009-to-the-mac- pro-2010-firmware-supports-faster-cpus-a…

Usually a Mac Pro is I/O bound, not processor/core limited. Thus, little may be gained by updating the processors.

Jul 3, 2015 1:16 PM in response to Lord Thalius

There is a 5+ year old thread about CPU upgrades and lots of similar attesting to how easy and lack of complications when done right - just peek over in Mac Pro forum at MacRumors. Same for the rest. SSD, SATA III, PCIe-SSDs. Just gotten cheaper over the years.

Only if you abuse and try to use GPUs that need 8-pin power connectors might you have power or heat issues.

Jul 3, 2015 2:47 PM in response to Lord Thalius

Your Mac Pro adjusts the fan speeds based on measured temperatures at multiple places inside the Mac. With more stuff packed inside generating heat, the fans may spin faster and make a little more noise. It can take care of itself within limits, as long as you clear out the dust bunnies once in a while.

Liquid cooling is trouble, and is completely not necessary.

Programming and compiling is not stressful in the slightest. It is almost completely I/O Bound. Processor upgrades are not needed to support programming.

Mac Pro (Early 2009): Upgrade Advice Requested

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.