Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java Runtime Environment

Very randomly I get this message: "to view this web content you need to install the java runtime environment." I have downloaded and installed it many times. I get this message even when I am not on a website or trying to open a document . In other words there is no web content I am trying to view at the time the message appears. The message simply pops up on my computer. I can cancel the message however it appears again later. I can download Java and install it and the message will still appear. I have a mac Book Pro with OS X Yosemite on it.

Any suggestions as to how to get rid of the message?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 2:28 PM

4 replies

Jul 3, 2015 3:27 PM in response to MargaretfromAlberta

Most likely, you have a web plugin that depends on the Java runtime distributed by Apple, such as the Facebook video calling plugin or the "NexDef" plugin for watching baseball streams. If you no longer need the plugin, remove it, including its automatic update mechanism (if any) according to the developer's instructions. Otherwise, install Java.

Java Runtime Environment

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.