Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I extend display of new 2015 Retina Macbook Pro to my older 2009 Macbook pro?

Can I extend display of new 2015 Retina Macbook Pro to my older 2009 Macbook pro, which has Mini-display port, Firewire, and USB? Connect 2015 MBP Thunderbolt to 2009 MBP Mini-display? I've researched a lot and it seems that I could connect my 2015 MBP from its Thunderbolt port to Monitor using its Mini-Display port and have it work. I just can't find anything that specifically states if it will work between 2 macbook pros the same way. A friend suggested I could use the HDMI port of the 2015 MBP through an adapter to connect to the 2009 MBP Mini-display port. I haven't been able to get it to work. Since mini-display port connector is physically the same as the Thunderbolt connector, and Thunderbolt is based on mini-display port technology, couldn't it work? I'm trying to find out before I go start wasting money on cables that won't work.

It has been suggested that I try something like screenrecycler.com, but although it worked, it was slow and choppy - at least the trial version was. I've used Synergy to create a virtual KVM between my iMac and a PC at work, but nothing in its literature says anything about it being capable of extending the display of one computer to another computer with the exact same OS.

I can always fall back on something like screen recycler, but just wondering if there really is a better performing answer.

Thank you,

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 1:54 PM

2 replies

Jul 3, 2015 2:34 PM in response to Niel

Thank you for your reply. That's what I was afraid of, but reading about Thunderbolt vs. Mini-display, I'm not sure what is up. But your answer sounds pretty definitive.

In the time since I first posted this question, my search brought me to Air Display in the Mac App store. It is not 100% perfect, as I expected when trying to extend displays over wireless/wifi, but it is pretty good. It is better than ScreenRecycler in speed, smoothness, and resolution. It was pretty simple to set up if you follow the directions.

I can probably live with Air Display.

Thank you again for your response.

Can I extend display of new 2015 Retina Macbook Pro to my older 2009 Macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.