Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My macbook pro is hacked

Couple of months back I bought a macbook pro. I thought it is the most secured OS so I can do my financial transaction.

To my surprise, last night when I opened my laptop, couple of small windows poped up, saying, your computer has been corrupted because you have opened a **** site called pronzizz.com. Don't shutdown your computer. Call us at 1-844-XXX-XXXX (cant remember the number now). So I called the number and there was a guy with the name of Brooke Adams. He said that he is an apple employee at Dallas, Texas. Then he asked me to download a citrix remote access software. Then I gave him remote access. He showed how often my laptop has been accessed from remote IP addresses. He also mentioned that there is a fee for this service and I have to use Paypal to pay it.Then he said he is going to scan my computer. Then he opened some bank statements that my wife has saved on the computer. I felt a little suspiscious and shut down my computer and disconnect the internet. I am planning to stop by the local apple shop.

Now I am asking the question to myself why the **** did I spend 1500 dollar when I could have got a similar configuration for 400 dollar with an window based system which is equally vulenerable to hackers.

Any help from the experts here will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Ajit

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 12:47 PM

3 replies

Jul 3, 2015 12:54 PM in response to aksmech

What you got was a popup ad from the Internet from a con artist. Absolutely nothing on your computer was compromised until you fell for the scam and granted them access to your computer. It doesn't matter what kind of computer you have, what operating system you're running, or how much you spent when you willfully granted access to your system to the thief.

Just like having the worlds best security system in your home won't do you any good when you willfully open the door to someone and let them rifle through all of your personal papers and bank statements.

You were conned. Notify your bank and credit card issuers that your information was compromised. Put a lock on your credit reports, and when you go to the genius bar at the Apple Store, have them completely wipe your machine and re-install OS X.

Edit: The fix is only "easy" as implied above if you haven't already fallen for the scam and granted access to your system to a thief.

Jul 3, 2015 12:53 PM in response to aksmech

I am sad to inform you that the fault is not with the computer but with you having fallen to a common SCAM. Never ever call such numbers again. Had you ignored it, then there would be no problem.

Contact your financial institution and have all of your bank account, credit card numbers changed as well as the pass words.

You will have to erase the drive and reenter all of your data. Then you will be in a secure position again.

Ciao.

My macbook pro is hacked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.