Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport extreme 7.7.2 - irregular bandwidth

Hello,

I have been having this airport extreme for quite sometime now and generally speaking, i don't have any issues. However, this one is bothering now for a couple of months without a solution. While I am connected to the airport extreme, suddenly and without myself or anyone else moving in the house, I am losing internet connection. The wireless remains connected and the distance from the device makes absolute no difference. I tried changing the channels, i tried both 2.4 and 5ghz but the problem persists. I tried reinstalling the device, same. I have noticed that when that happens, If i disconnect from the 2.4 and connect to the 5 or vice versa, the problem is solved immediately. In addition, when i ping from my ethernet wired mac mini both the airport and my macbook, the ping towards the macbook lags (from 0.6 up to 400ms) while the ping towards the airport extreme remains unchanged. Also I tried the same from the macbook towards the mini and the airport at the same time, and they were both lagging randomly. Funny note, in 5 minutes of pinging, the mac mini (which from my macbook is the second hop since the airport is the first), had less packet loss than the airport extreme (0.1% and 0.3%)

I am puzzled,

Any ideas?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mavericks (10.9), Numbers 3.0.1

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 12:30 PM

1 reply

Jul 3, 2015 3:23 PM in response to vasileiosg

The AC extreme has a number of issues.. the loss of internet might have nothing to do with wireless.. but rather the WAN port is failing to connect.

A large number of people experience this drop out.. some modems are particularly bad combo with the Gen6 AE. SB6121, 6141 but almost any of the more recent Surfboard series cable modems will give you major issues.

It can even has worked fine for ages and then suddenly started having issues.. which is even harder to explain.

Are you using Mavericks or Yosemite.. (I know your profile says 10.9 but many people forget to update it). Yosemite does have major network issues.

If the AE is still in warranty.. I would be inclined to take it to apple store and get it tested/replaced.

It may still fail to solve the problem but at least you will then know that you are running with something Apple at least think works.

BTW 7.7.2 is security flawed firmware.. you should upgrade to 7.7.3 which fixes it.. I do not think this is related to your issue.. but fixing it security flaws is always a good thing.

Airport extreme 7.7.2 - irregular bandwidth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.