Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just bought a mac-mini for my mom. Havent hooked it up yet. She has an Acer monitor with only a VGA connector so I will need to buy something that goes from that to HDMI or ?. I thought about buying a flatscreen TV and just do HDMI to HDMI but I kee

I just bought a new mac mini for my Mom. I have not connected it yet. She has an Acer monitor with a VGA connection. So from my understanding or lack, I need to buy a connector for a VGA to the HDMI or other port? I thought it might just be easier to buy a flat screen TV and go HDMI to HDMI but after reading on this forum all I hear is that the monitors do not wake up with the HDMI connection. Also I thought about buying a new wireless kekboard and mouse as she currently has hardwired? (probably the wrong term) but was wondering if all were compatible with the mac mini. So I guess I would just like some advise from someone who has a much better understaning of all this and tell me maybe what my best options are? All would be very much appreciated!

Mac mini

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 12:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 1:11 PM

You need a mini displayport to VGA adopter. The mini displayport end plugs into the Macs' Thunderbolt ports.

The HDMI port does not provide analogue so to use that port you would need an expensive HDMI to VGA converter.

I use Apple Bluetooth/wireless mouse, trackpad and keyboard for my Macs, included a 2102 Mini. Logitech also makes good wireless and BT keyboards and mice

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2015 1:11 PM in response to lpal54

You need a mini displayport to VGA adopter. The mini displayport end plugs into the Macs' Thunderbolt ports.

The HDMI port does not provide analogue so to use that port you would need an expensive HDMI to VGA converter.

I use Apple Bluetooth/wireless mouse, trackpad and keyboard for my Macs, included a 2102 Mini. Logitech also makes good wireless and BT keyboards and mice

Jul 3, 2015 1:43 PM in response to lllaass

Thank you for the information! We live in a small community and RadioShack for local is my only option without ordering from the net. They have a HDMI to VGA for $30, I didnt ask them about a mini display port. My mom's monitor is probably 4-6 years old and has external wired speakers. I was thinking about trying to get rid of clutter, thus the wireless mouse and keyboard question. I too, have Mac's here at my house and only use their keyboards and mouse. I was just trying to come up with the easiest and (cheaper) way to help her out. That was when it was suggested to me to just buy a flat screen TV and go HDMI to HDMI. But i have read here on the forums where that is not working so well because of the monitor not wanting to "wake up" . So dont want to buy the TV , keyboard and mouse and then have nothing work! Maybe just use her monitor and buy the cable and keyboard and mouse...... thanks again for helping me with some into!

Just bought a mac-mini for my mom. Havent hooked it up yet. She has an Acer monitor with only a VGA connector so I will need to buy something that goes from that to HDMI or ?. I thought about buying a flatscreen TV and just do HDMI to HDMI but I kee

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.