Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installed new SSD, trying to erase old hard drive

I recently overhauled my old Macbook Pro 2010 by replacing the battery, upgrading to 8 GB of RAM, and upgrading to a 256 Samsung SSD. I also bought a caddy and replaced the optical drive with my old macbook hard drive.

Now that the old hard drive is installed, I'd like to use it for overflow storage of movies, music, etc. but I'm having trouble erasing the data on it. When I access the Disk Utility, the options for erasing it are greyed out (I'm assuming because it contains formerly essential OS X data). How do I work around this?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 2:30 PM

5 replies

Jul 3, 2015 2:37 PM in response to cjkelly

What drive are you booting from - SSD or old HDD? Have you prepped the SSD and installed OS X on it? Or did you clone the HDD to the SSD? There is no reason why you should not be able to reformat the HDD if you are booted from the SSD. Please describe in detail what you did to try erasing the HDD.

Installed new SSD, trying to erase old hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.