Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2013 AirPort Time Capsule gets incredibly hot

I have a 3 TB AirPort Time Capsule purchased in March 2013, and I've noticed it gets incredibly hot.

When I say incredibly hot, what I mean is that if I rest my hand on top of it, it not only feels extremely hot, but after about 4 seconds it feels too hot to touch any longer and I have to let go.

Should I be worried?

It's under Apple Care until March 2016.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 3:16 PM

8 replies

Jul 3, 2015 3:30 PM in response to enteq

Power down to allow it to cool off..

Although I am in two minds.. if you have data on the TC you need to save copy it off NOW.. right NOW.

It is just it may not start up after a power down. Sometimes it is better to let it keep running but put some pencils underneath to get it off the surface of the bench and get a small fan to blow air over it.. then get your data off.

Last step do quick erase of the TC .. and return it for replacement.

To be that hot on a Gen4 (check the base A1409) is wrong.. something is at fault.. I am not 100% sure what but it is worth getting it back to apple.

Jul 3, 2015 3:48 PM in response to LaPastenague

OK so perhaps I should have mentioned that I had my ISP-supplied broadband router resting on top of the Time Capsule.

I had not thought this was an issue, because the router does have 4 little feet so there was an air gap, and it was not blocking any vents on the Time Capsule.

But now that I inspect it, I've realized that the router is generating a fair amount of heat itself.

I've now taken the router off, and the Time Capsule has cooled down somewhat. It is no longer too hot to touch, but it is still hot. It is not what I would call barely warm.

Yes it says A1409 on the back. I only use the Time Capsule for backup, and I have lots of other backups so losing the data is not an issue.

Jul 3, 2015 4:36 PM in response to enteq

We assumed that you had a newer version of the Time Capsule, which runs barely warm to the touch.

Give your Time Capsule plenty of free air space.....nothing else within 6-8 inches or so. Do not place the Time Capsule inside a cabinet or in an enclosed area. A quiet whisper fan would be a good investment if you want maximum life out of the Time Capsule.

Jul 3, 2015 5:03 PM in response to enteq

I've now taken the router off, and the Time Capsule has cooled down somewhat. It is no longer too hot to touch, but it is still hot. It is not what I would call barely warm.

Yes it says A1409 on the back.

The A1409 Setup Guide (page 31) states: “Do not place other objects (books, papers, small pets, etc.) on top of the Time Capsule. It may interfere with Time Capsule cooling.”

I’m pretty sure the “etc.” would include other heat-generating electronic equipment, such as routers.

In my experience the A1409 typically runs at temperatures significantly higher than “barely warm”, especially towards the back where the cable connections are. If the hard drive is running, as it does during backups, the unit can get quite warm. With a router resting on top it, I wouldn’t be surprised if it got extremely hot, or eventually failed due to overheating.

2013 AirPort Time Capsule gets incredibly hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.