Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does MacMail have feature similar to Outlook's "Read Receipt"?

I am sending emails internationally to and from a PC person who uses Outlook. She is able to tell when I open her emails via a program called "Read Receipt", a Outlook option which immediately informs a sender that their email has been read by the recipient.

I love MacMail and trashed both Outlook and Entourage years ago, but in self-defense, I also need to know when this PC person reads MacMail emails I send to her.

Does MacMail have a similar feature, how do I set it up, and is it compatible with email sent from Outlook? If not, is there any aftermarket software which will enable me to do this?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Oct 29, 2006 4:07 AM

2 replies

Oct 29, 2006 9:42 AM in response to Charlot

As Templeton suggested, there is some info over in the Mail forum. Here are a few links to posts from from folks asking similar questions (they have a good explanation and caveat of why read receipt may also not behave well with Internet mail, and a way to configure Tiger's Mail to do this):

More info #1
More info #2
How to configure Tiger's Mail to do this using Terminal

Intel Mini 1.66 GHz, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Mac OS X (10.4.7)
Vista RC2 and XP running under Parallels

Does MacMail have feature similar to Outlook's "Read Receipt"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.