Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playlist View Options function disappeared in iTunes

How do I get it back?

I must have updated to a new version of iTunes and it's a very disruptive change as I rely on seeing and editing multiple fields in the playlist view daily.

I am have this version of iTunes now 12.2.0.145. If it's not possible to have this functionality in this version, what would be the best way to go back to a version where this function is working?

I am not strong with technical stuff - so, will need some really simple advice... if there is such a thing!

Many thanks!

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 9:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2015 12:21 AM

Yes, this option to control what columns show at the top of the window seems to have disappeared. Previously it was accessed with the keyboard shortcut COMMAND + J. Doing a Get Info on a song shows that all of the information's there, but there doesn't seem to be a way to control what data fields display as column headers. Changing the pulldown menu in the upper right corner from Playlists to Songs brings back the columns as they used to look, but no options seem to exist for changing that view. Also, I seem to recall a thumbnail showing on the left hand side in the Songs view, but I could be mistaken. The Playlist view shows it, but it's too big, and I can't seem to find a way to shrink it down. Additionally, the Playlist view has column headers I don't want, but they don't seem to be changable.

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2015 12:21 AM in response to freedomDANCE

Yes, this option to control what columns show at the top of the window seems to have disappeared. Previously it was accessed with the keyboard shortcut COMMAND + J. Doing a Get Info on a song shows that all of the information's there, but there doesn't seem to be a way to control what data fields display as column headers. Changing the pulldown menu in the upper right corner from Playlists to Songs brings back the columns as they used to look, but no options seem to exist for changing that view. Also, I seem to recall a thumbnail showing on the left hand side in the Songs view, but I could be mistaken. The Playlist view shows it, but it's too big, and I can't seem to find a way to shrink it down. Additionally, the Playlist view has column headers I don't want, but they don't seem to be changable.

Jul 7, 2015 3:37 PM in response to Tegilbor

I have to agree. How do you listen to a new playlist of songs and rate the ones you want? There is rightclick functionality, but use it and you don't see any visual feedback (ie you cannot add star ratings to your playlists anymore).

iTunes is a necessary evil simply to listen to music on your iDevice but now its on the verge of total redundancy.

Jul 7, 2015 4:20 PM in response to logOutOfThisAppleId

Wish I could be helpful here, but it seems Apple has moved from supporting mature users to redesigning their apps based on focus group input from youngsters who interface the entire world via their phones.

The latest modifications to iTunes prove my curmudgeonly point!

I hate it, but have no alternative, especially with a very large iTunes library.

Caroline 😟

Jul 7, 2015 6:57 PM in response to cdeegan

I, too, am disgusted by Apple's apparent lack of faith in its long-term users, by not allowing us, or newcomers, to continue to view our playlists as we would like to see them. This version of iTunes seems like a rush job, just to get Music off the ground, iTunes users be ******. Why would they take away such a simple functionality as changing the column views for playlists, and the ability to rate songs in your playlists? This just seems like one step forward (Music), and two giant leaps backwards.😠

Jul 8, 2015 11:38 AM in response to freedomDANCE

Read this (including the comments) about various view options in iTunes 12.2, what is available where, and how to configure it --> http://www.mcelhearn.com/itunes-12-2-new-playlist-view-option/

it seems Apple has moved from supporting mature users to redesigning their apps based on focus group input from youngsters who interface the entire world via their phones.

Yes, but if you compare the purchasing habits of the 13-45 years olds and the 45+ year olds you can see to whom they are catering. Realize corporate loyalty for any company isn't a matter of bottom-line warm and fuzzies (though ads will claim it is) it is financial. I have been using Apple products twice as long as any 15 year old out there but I bet in terms of actual purchases they are getting more out of that 15 year old (and will in the future) than they do out of me (who has no modern iPhone, and has never bought anything from the iTunes Store). I too do not like what they are doing with the software and hardware design but from a impersonal marketing perspective (and think of all those shareholders) I cannot blame them.

Jul 8, 2015 12:35 PM in response to Limnos

I understand aiming for center of mass, and that us gray hairs won't be around as long as the kiddies. Apple's just catering to their market, present and future. Same thing happened when they released the glossy Cinema Displays. Great for watching movies and playing games, but virtually unusable for high-end color correction for print. Not just us graphic geeks anymore, it would seem.

What confuses me about the iTunes discussion at hand is that you're still able to view and sort playlists as you once were by choosing Songs from the upper right pulldown menu. They kept that in, but left out the ability to customize column headers, even as they left all the data to drive it accessible in the Get Info box. Not sure why they had to strip away the CMD + J functionality.

As per William's suggestion, I'll definitely submit feedback on the issue. Unless I'm just missing where they've hidden the CMD + J functionality in the new interface, I'll have to assume someone made a decision to do away with it... for some strange reason.

Jul 8, 2015 9:44 PM in response to freedomDANCE

Actually, might've just stumbled onto something. If you choose "Songs" in the upper right corner (vs. "Playlist", which seems to be the new default), you'll see your playlists displayed as they used to be. Then, right-click on the column header bar, and a pop-up menu will appear that gives you the option to turn on and off all the various column headers. Problem apparently solved. I think.

Why they had to do away with CMD + J? Who knows. Certainly doesn't appear to be any documentation highlighting this new functionality.

:-\

Playlist View Options function disappeared in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.