Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I set a schedule on the Iphone 6 to Turn off at night and Wake/Turn on in the morning to preserve battery life?

Device/Model: Iphone 6

Questions/Query: "Ability to Auto Off/On the Iphone device"

Hi All, I was wondering, is there any sort of feature or even app that can set a schedule on the Iphone to Turn Off/On again automatically.

Eg, I have an old work Blackberry that I need to use for work, I setup a schedule on it to turn off each night at Midnight and then turns back on automatically at 5:30 am each weekday.

This A) Helps minimise the disturbance I may get after hours, B)Most importanlty saves battery life for more to use during the day when I need it the most.

Does Apple have anything similar. I understand Smartphones are completely different to the very limited old Blackberry devices though would of thought Apple would have a similar feature but cant seem to find anything.

By having a such feature it could help alleviate a lot of peoples frustration with our often they need to charge their smart phones.

If not,is there somewhere that we can suggest features/wishlists for considerations in upcoming releases/os Updatess.

Dont get me wrong, I love my Iphone but find it very strange that it doesnt (well at least that i can find) have any such features that are already out on its competitors phones/smart phones from several years ago.

Reason: To help save battery life on the device as there is no point being on in the middle of the night while im sleeping.

Thanks,

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4, null

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 7:18 PM

11 replies

Jul 4, 2015 12:58 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Ok, Thanks

Call me paranoid, but I don't like charging it til the battery is fully drained and then I fully charge it.

Not too sure if it happens on modern batteries but all my other devices batteries usually played up and or didn't last as long if I didn't fully drain/fully charge so one of those annoying habits/beliefs I have to follow now.

Jul 4, 2015 6:43 AM in response to PrivatePete

PrivatePete wrote:

Ok, Thanks

Call me paranoid, but I don't like charging it til the battery is fully drained and then I fully charge it.

Not too sure if it happens on modern batteries but all my other devices batteries usually played up and or didn't last as long if I didn't fully drain/fully charge so one of those annoying habits/beliefs I have to follow now.

That is, in fact, the wrong way to treat a lithium ion battery, the kind in a iPhone. Fully draining a lithium ion battery is neither necessary or desirable. It's inadvisable to drain a lithium ion battery completely. It's time to change your habits to match the existing technology. Charge your watch, or your iPhone or your computer whenever you want or need to. Letting them drain completely then charing fully will not extend the life of the battery.

Whatever cause the problems in recent devices you have, it had nothing to do with whether or not you drained the battery fully.

Jul 4, 2015 9:11 AM in response to PrivatePete

PrivatePete wrote:

Ok, Thanks

If you don't change your habits you will shorten the life of the battery. Lithium batteries will fail if the charge ever goes to zero. Even once. Fortunately, Apple has thought of that; when the phone shuts off displaying 0% there is still some charge left in the battery; enough to last a couple of weeks with the phone powered off. But users have discovered that if they leave the phone in this state for more than a couple of weeks the phone will not restart, and will need a new battery. Similarly, Lithium batteries should not be charged too much. Again, Apple has thought of that; there is still some "overhead" in the state of charge when the phone displays 100%. The smart charger in the phone discontinues charging when the displayed value reaches 100%, so it is safe to leave the phone plugged in for long periods of time.

The proper way to use any Lithium chemistry battery is to charge it when convenient for as long as convenient, and avoid letting it fully discharge.

Jul 4, 2015 7:15 PM in response to PrivatePete

It's simply that times have changed. 20 years ago Nickel-Cadmium batteries would lose capacity if they weren't completely discharged before recharging them, which is where a lot of people's habits originated. But the next generation, Nickel-Metal-Hydride (NMH) didn't have this problem, and, in fact, worked better if you didn't fully discharge them (or charge them). That's the technology used in the Prius models from 2001 until 2010. And the battery management in them (which was automatic) never let the charge go below 20% or above 80%. And the process works. My 12 year old Prius still has the original traction battery after 100,000 miles and probably 50,000 charge discharge cycles.

Jul 4, 2015 8:47 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Not sure if this was mentioned but to answer the original questions - No, there isn't a way to turn it off, however, the "Do Not Disturb" feature does have a scheduling feature so you can set it to enable Do Not Disturb @ bedtime then disable it when you wake up.

I too remember the days of battery "memory" and having to fully drain the battery - thankfully, those days are gone. I usually charge my battery while getting ready in the morning or at my desk at the office.

Good luck.

Jul 4, 2015 8:59 PM in response to PrivatePete

Welcome to the discussions.

I have found that what you mention is not necessary

, When you are finished just set it down or place it where you do in the evening and you will find the battery (DOES NOT DRAIN.)

Then in the morning you simply hit the the little round button on the bottom and you are good to go, until such time as you need to charge your battery.

Cheers, and Good Luck

Don Morgan

Jul 5, 2015 4:18 AM in response to TX_DZD

TX_DZD wrote:

Thanks - I agree - it's not necessary I was just answering their question. You do bring up a good point though - the battery could still drain if it is set to push or fetch mail; or if they live in a poor reception area - a better idea would be to put in airplane mode while sleeping. Thanks.

But the best idea is to charge it overnight, every night. Then it doesn't matter what does or does not run. And it also enables automatic daily iCloud backup Over WiFi, and keeps background apps from using cellular data.

Can I set a schedule on the Iphone 6 to Turn off at night and Wake/Turn on in the morning to preserve battery life?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.