Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is my early 2011 Macbook Pro running so slow. I am using Mavericks and total memory is 4Gb. Many thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Why is my early 2011 Macbook running so slow? I am using Mavericks, i have a total of 4Gb of installed memory. Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 4Gb memory installed

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 8:52 PM

4 replies

Jul 3, 2015 9:07 PM in response to jkb2

the answer is so easy it may astonish you. Mavericks loves the ram, and 4 gigs is the bare minimum needed to run it. Upgrading your ram (or memory if you like) will give you a performance boost and may speed up your Macbook. It is easy to do, only needing a #1 or #0 Phillips (crosspoint screwdriver) and the new memory itself. Your macbook will take 2 sticks, 8 gigs each for a total of 16 gigs. The only thing you have to keep in mind, is that there are 3 screws at the back left of your bottom macbook case which are longer than the others, and of course the screws at the front of the case are "shoulder" screws. You can get a small piece of cardboard, and as you remove the screws one by one, stick 'em into the cardboard in the order you took them out, so that when you put them back in, you can remember which screw went where. Info on the type of ram (or memory) can be found under the Apple symbol at the top left of your screen, click on "About this mac" then "More info" and it should tell what kind you have and what you should look for when you buy 2 new sticks. you can try macsales.com or OWC, and I'm sure there are some good brand names out there. The hatter and IIIaass, or someone else can help you with that. The whole procedure should take about 30 minutes and, last time I checked, 2 8 gig sticks werre around $200*. You can use the old memory in an iMac or sell it offf as you like. Also try repairing permissions from Disk Utility. It may help you, or it may not....worth a try, I guess

hope that helps

John B

* of course, if you're totally uncomfortable with opening up your 2011 macbook, you can take it in to your local Apple store or Apple Authorized repair place, but this'll cost you more and you might have to wait....

Jul 3, 2015 9:18 PM in response to jkb2

When you see a beachball cursor or the slowness is especially bad, note the exact time: hour, minute, second.

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Scroll back to the time you noted above.

Select the messages entered from then until the end of the episode, or until they start to repeat, whichever comes first.

Copy the messages to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of it useless for solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Jul 4, 2015 6:00 AM in response to jkb2

It will make it easier to help you w/ your problem to know know more information about your computer; size, exact year built, RAM installed and OS you're running. Any history prior to your incident would also be helpful.

If it's a 15" or 17" check out the recall:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

If it's not that then do everything that John B, Link and OGLETHORPE suggest.

Then:

I have an early 2011 MBP 13" that I bumped up to 8 GB RAM.

I also added a 120 GB SSD from OWC:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Mercury_6G/

Here's how it's running now and has been for the last 14 months:

Startup

http://tinyurl.com/ooe6sac

Photoshop CS 6 open job:

http://tinyurl.com/nsussol

It's running Mavericks, 10.9.5. I'm avoiding Yosemite due to problems I see reported around here.

Here's OWC's benchmarks, this is for the 13":

http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Framework.cfm?page=/Benchmarks/CS6BenchmarkPag e-MacBookPro13.html

Note how the addition of RAM but especially the SSD work together to make a fast machine.

I even added a 120 GB 3 G SSD to my tech bench early 2006 20" iMac running Lion because it was driving me nuts running so slow on a conventional drive.

why is my early 2011 Macbook Pro running so slow. I am using Mavericks and total memory is 4Gb. Many thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.