Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes keeps copying iTunes libraries to C: drive

I have copied all of my iTunes libraries and iTunes itself to my D: drive and set the default path in iTunes to the D: drive, but every time I open iTunes it copies my libraries back to the C: drive. My C: drive is full and I can't keep my music on it. What am I doing wrong? Why won't the app just play the music from my D: drive? I am on a Samsung laptop using Windows 7 OS. Thanks!

Samsung Laptop-OTHER, Windows 7, C: partition too small

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 6:58 PM

3 replies

Jul 3, 2015 7:07 PM in response to piperhdsk

Make sure you've copied the complete iTunes library (not just the media files/folders) to the D: drive. The structure should look like this (see note 3 below):

User uploaded file

Then hold down SHIFT as you start iTunes, when you see this prompt:

User uploaded file\

click on Choose Library... then navigate to and select the iTunes Library.itl file on the D: drive.

Three extra points:

1. iTunes doesn't always work well when not installed on the system (C:) drive. You're probably best to leave the application itself on C: and have the library files and folders on D:
  2. The iTunes Media Folder selection does not tell iTunes where to find your media files (that info is contained in the iTunes database) - it only determines where new additions to your library are to be placed.
  3. See turingtest2's user tip on Make a split library portable for details of the way that an iTunes library should be structured to allow it to be moved belween drives, and steps you may need to take to get it into that structure.

iTunes keeps copying iTunes libraries to C: drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.